Save problem

F

Focuspuller

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

I cannot seem to save a document to a pre-existing folder in my Documents directory.

I can save directly to the Documents folder, but not to a folder within the Documents folder. Is this normal?

Thanks for any responses.

C

CyberTaz

Well, what happens when you try? Is there an error message? If so, what does
it tell you?

It sonnds from the brief description that it may be a permissions issue. Try
running Disk Utility - Repair Disk Permissions & restart your Mac. If that
doesn't correct it use Get Info on the offending folders & see what they're
set to allow.

For anything further you'll need to answer the questions above & indicate
your current update level of both Office & OS X.

F

Focuspuller

Bingo. Thanks.

Now this is interesting, though. The Documents Folder is locked with the following permissions:

system read/write
staff read only
everyone read only

Unlocking and changing "staff" and "everyone" to read/write seems to fix the problem, but why wouldn't "system" read/write permission be sufficient, as I am logged in as administrator, and who the heck are "staff" and "everyone" anyway? I never specified those permissions.

C

CyberTaz

OK, so far so good :)

Is the system on a network or otherwise managed environment? If so, your
administrator mor IT folks will have to address those additional questions.

AFAIK, OS X only generates one default Admin account. Anything else has to
be created by someone with admin access.

F

Focuspuller

Thanks again.

Not on a network and I am the only administrator account, and the only User, in fact, which is why I question who added "staff" and "everyone" to "read only" my Documents folder then locked it, because I definitely did not.

A default of some sort?

F

Focuspuller

Correction to previous post.

I could Save to the Documents folder, but not to a subfolder of my creation within Documents, which were locked and restricted, but not by me unless it was a default of some kind.

R

Rene

I am having this same problem. Please see my earlier post today "Lost ability to navigate folders on save" (sorry it got posted twice...I'm new!). I took the advice and checked all permission levels and they are read & write. I ran the permissions repair utility, but it didn't help.

In a nutshell, my entire SAVE-AS menu has changed. I can no longer select any sub-folder and I can not create a new folder...and my recent places is out of date.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Ask a Question