Saving files from within Word/Excel to the network

C

Conan Kelly

Hello all,

I know I'm going to ruffle some feathers by cross-posting, but I'm casting a wider net. Maybe I'll catch the fish that knows the
answer to my question. This will be the 3rd post on microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web. The first two went unanswered.

My boss is having trouble saving large Word Doc's/Excel Spreadsheets to the network. She can open the files from the network okay
AND she can copy the files locally and work on then with no problems, then copy them back to the network share.

She is also having trouble unzipping files from the network. Once again, she can copy them locally and work with them just fine.
The original post will follow.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide,

Conan Kelly

---Original Post---
Hello all,

Using XP Pro on a laptop (less than a year old, memory and CPU should be adequate) on a domain network.

My boss is getting error messages when she tries to save large Word Docs/Excel Spreadsheets (from within the corresponding Office
program) to the network: http://home.att.net/~ctbarbarin/files/error_message.jpg. But she can save them locally and then
move/copy them to the network just fine. (Her desktop--a few years older than the laptop--can handle these files just fine.)

Also she is having trouble extracting zipped files from the network (using the built-in Windows Extract tool/wizard--NOT winzip),
but once again, she can move the zip file to a local location and extract with no problems.

She would normally get these messages on files 5-7 + MB's in size, but now she is getting them on files 1.5 MB's in size.

She has only one network cable between her office and the main switch. She is connecting the laptop to the network with a CAT5/5e
patch cable to a LinkSys Workgroup Switch (MDL #: EZXS55W) in her office that also has her desktop and her VoIP phone plugged into
it.

Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be. Any simple settings on her laptop or on the server that we can adjust to try
to solve/reduce this problem.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide,

Conan Kelly

Ask a Question