Selected Cell?

S

Steve_A

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

I have been a PC user for many years and have recently (4 weeks) changed to Mac because my laptop was old and needed replacing / the new macbooks had just been launched / my PC was receiving more and more viruses etc etc,(I always wanted a Mac but was scared of the unknown!).

Anyway, I am trying to get used to 'the Mac way' in general and am having difficulty with some of the features of my Macbook and Office for Mac 2008 which I had installed by Apple when I purchased my macbook as I was advised by Apple that it worked 'exactly' as Office worked on a PC - I originally planned to install Windows and either Parallels or VM Fusion.

Having read some of the posts, my query will seem extremely trivial to many however is causing me considerable problems in that is I cannot see the 'selected cell'. Firstly, I am colour blind however in my old version of excel for PC (circa 2001), I could see the cell I was working on fine as it had a distinctive 'shade' around it, on this version it is very faint and I rely on checking the row and column highlighted letter / numbers to establish where I am and where I'm going. This gets more difficult when selecting a group of cells to copy / paste.

I have tried changing colours in Mac 'System Preferences' but as expected had no bearing on excel, also tried changing gridline colours which did what it said but didn't change the 'selected cell' border. I have spoken to 'Geniuses' at Apple who say it is a Microsoft issue and they don't know.

Any ideas on how to 'highlight' in some way the 'selected cell? (apologies if I have some of the terminology wrong, I am not particularly 'tech' about these things, I have learned over the years to make things work on my PC by 'trial and error')

J

JE McGimpsey

I have tried changing colours in Mac 'System Preferences' but as expected had
no bearing on excel,

That's entirely *un*-expected.

XL *does* take its highlight color from the System Preferences,
Appearance pane, highlight dropdown (choose Other if you don't like any
of the other options).

However, it does so when XL first starts up, so if XL is open when you
make the change, you need to quit and restart XL

Ask a Question