"send to word" feature too weak to print handouts!

M

matthewcornell

Folks - I rely heavily on PowerPoint for Windows' "Send To Word" feature, which on Windows allows me to create a table in word with columns for page#, thumbnail, and notes, with various format choices available.

I am utterly astonished to find the "Send To Word" feature on PP for Mac (2008 v. 12.0) as practically useless. All it does is a simple text export with no options to show thumbnails.

I want my money back.

matt

C

CyberTaz

Well, Matt, you're right - The Send to Word feature in Mac PPt is not the
same as it is in Win PPt... But then again it never has been. That isn't a
new development in 2008:)

Why not print your handouts directly from PPt? In the Print dialog open the
Print What: dropdown & choose Handouts (3 slides per page). Actually, I
prefer to do it this way because the column taken up for slide numbers in
the Word doc is a big waste of space - especially if you already have
numbers on the slides.

As far as getting your money back - Contact the vendor, nobody here has any
say in that matter:)

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

M

Matthew Cornell

Thanks for your message, Bob. I was pretty upset and shocked last night, and I'm sorry if I was too negative.

I actually do what you suggest, but there are two different uses for printing: 1) handouts with notes for workshop participants (I teach personal productivity), and 2) a leader guide for myself.

I need the Send To Word feature for the latter, which gives me a nice set of notes to work from during the workshop (when needed). This needs to be a compact format, hence doing it in Word. The creators of this feature in Windows knew exactly what I'm trying to do, and why it's important.

Right now I have a duplicate copy of the file for two kinds of notes - not ideal, but I don't know a better way:

File 1 - for handouts. Printed format: 1/2 page for image, 1/2 for readable prose. Handout functions as a readable take-away booklet. Does not contain slides for breaks, interactive exercises, etc.

File 2 - for the actual presentation. A superset of 1, with slides for exercises and breaks included. Printed format: My leader notes as described above.

Thanks again,

matt

Ask a Question