Sending docx, xlsx, and pptx attachments problem

E

ElvinC

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC Email Client: imap Mac users who receive this with Entourage have no problem. But if users on PCs or those who receive the message with a web client, will find the file misidentified as a .doc document and thus creating problems with MSWord tries to open .docx document as a .doc. (converter errors happen). Similar problems happen with .pptx and .xlsx documents.

Webmail clients identify the application creator as msword (when the attachment is sent from Entourage) when it should be (application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document).

I also find that when the feature append file extension is used for files without extensions, Entourage (at least 2004) is attaching .doc suffix to .docx files that are missing suffixes. In some webclients, I see that the attachments are being downloaded/opened with ".docx.doc" suffixes.

The work around has been to have PC users download the document and correct the extensions. This is hardly acceptable since it will continue the grudge that files from Mac users are problematic, even when they are Microsoft files being sent by Microsoft email clients.

So there is something about how Entourage packages .docx, .pptx, .xlsx attachments that somehow misidentifies the documents as plain .doc, .ppt, and .xls documents.

-elvin-

E

ElvinC

Due to a Safari error, this topic was posted multiple times. I've posted replies at those duplicate posts to reply here on this thread. Thanks!

C

Corentin Cras-Méneur

On 2010-02-01 14:17:11 -0500, (e-mail address removed) said:

Hi Elvin,
Mac users who receive this with Entourage have no problem. But if users
on PCs or those who receive the message with a web client, will find
the file misidentified as a .doc document and thus creating problems
with MSWord tries to open .docx document as a .doc. (converter errors
happen). Similar problems happen with .pptx and .xlsx documents.
[...]

I also find that when the feature append file extension is used for
files without extensions, Entourage (at least 2004) is attaching .doc
suffix to .docx files that are missing suffixes. In some webclients, I
see that the attachments are being downloaded/opened with ".docx.doc"
suffixes.

I believe that the root of the problem is that your files do not have
an extension. Even on a Mac (especially now in Snow Leopard),
extensions are critically important.
DO you have any problem if you send a file that already has the proper
extension??

Corentin

E

ElvinC

They definitely have their extensions. We work in a cross-platform environment, so all our Mac users save and show their extensions.

-elvin-

C

Corentin Cras-Méneur

They definitely have their extensions. We work in a cross-platform
environment, so all our Mac users save and show their extensions.

Then I don't remember ever seeing that.
Zipping the files might be a workaround (which is silly for a file
format that's already zipped).
In the preferences, what method is used for encoding?? Have you tried
changing it?
All I can think of is that the client on the other end is messing up
the attachments as it de-encodes them,

Corentin

E

ElvinC

Yep. I'd agree that zipping files is overkill.

Encoding is AppleDouble (for any computer), no compression. I've confirmed that this is a problem across multiple PC machines consistently when accessed from our campus webmail client and apparently from at least one Eudora client. Whatever it is, it's not telling the PCs the right way to open the thing.

E

ElvinC

I've tried two different kinds of web email clients (to two different recipients) now so it's not the recipients email server. What I'll test next is sending the pptx xlsx docx files from a different email account using Entourage.

-elvin-

E

ElvinC

What I see at the client end...on the PC...if you have the PC choose "Open With" and by default it does choose Word, it produces the error "Word cannot start the converter mswrd632.wpc". It does this a few times and sometimes if you repeated click ok...the file will actually open. Other times, particularly if you choose "show help" then "ok", then you'll be brought to the choose different encoding window.

Choosing save to disk when you click on the attachment, saves no problem, proper extension and opens beautifully. As far as I can see when you go with "Open With...", it treats it like a .doc, .xls, .ppt file (even showing it with a .docx.doc, .xlsx.xls, or .pptx.ppt extension!). So it's using the right app but thinking it's in a different format.

More testing later.

-elvin-

E

ElvinC

Sent test message from home also using Entourage with different SMTP and it still appears that the files are misidentified for the purpose on PCs for "Open With..."

The PCs I'm testing are running Windows XP if that matters.

E

ElvinC

I'm surprised others aren't running into this and easily able to reproduce this problem.

C

Corentin Cras-Méneur

I'm surprised others aren't running into this and easily able to
reproduce this problem.

I have never ever had any problem with file encoding.
The only cases when I saw that with others were 1) old client used on
the PC and 2) a weird SMTP server that was messing up the encoding.

Have you tried selecting a different encoding method?

Corentin

E

ElvinC

AppleDouble, BinHex, and MIME/Base64 all reproduce the problem but UNIX encoding does not. I've switched our machines to default to that and hopefully that should solve the problem.

-elvin-

E

ElvinC

Still trouble with UNIX encoding. Finding that BinHex (Macintosh) format seems to work on PCs when I get the messages via webmail. Testing now with colleague's Eudora PC client.

J

Joseph Fuoco

I have Mac users sending .docx and .xlsx files via e-mail to PC users running WinXP and sometimes (not every time) the file extension changes --the 'x' is stripped of the end. This makes Word or Excel or the associated converter unable to deal with it. Renaming the file by adding the 'x' works as a band-aid but I have been unable to find and treat the root cause.

Other postings I've read concerning this behavior tend to rule out e-mail clients at both the Mac and PC end (so I'm thinking Entourage is not at fault). There is never an instance of this happening for PC-to-PC or Mac-to-Mac, or PC-to-Mac, only the case of Mac-to-PC. When the file extension remains correct (the 'x' is not dropped) a converter works for Office XP/2003 apps to read the Office 2007/2008 file.

So, is the glitch in how Office for Mac 2008 stores files or in the SMTP handling of these files on the mail server?

If someone else is seeing this happen, can you indicate what mail server product is being used?

Elvin wrote:

I am surprised others are not running into this and easily able to reproduce
02-Feb-10

I am surprised others are not running into this and easily able to reproduce this problem.

Previous Posts In This Thread:

Sending docx, xlsx, and pptx attachments problem
Version: 200
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard
Processor: Power P
Email Client: ima

Mac users who receive this with Entourage have no problem. But if users on PCs or those who receive the message with a web client, will find the file misidentified as a .doc document and thus creating problems with MSWord tries to open .docx document as a .doc. (converter errors happen). Similar problems happen with .pptx and .xlsx documents. <br><br>Webmail clients identify the application creator as msword (when the attachment is sent from Entourage) when it should be (application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document). <br><br>I also find that when the feature append file extension is used for files without extensions, Entourage (at least 2004) is attaching .doc suffix to .docx files that are missing suffixes. In some webclients, I see that the attachments are being downloaded/opened with &quot;.docx.doc&quot; suffixes. <br><br>The work around has been to have PC users download the document and correct the extensions. This is hardly acceptable since it will continue the grudge that files from Mac users are problematic, even when they are Microsoft files being sent by Microsoft email clients. <br><br>So there is something about how Entourage packages .docx, .pptx, .xlsx attachments that somehow misidentifies the documents as plain .doc, .ppt, and .xls documents. <br><br>-elvin-

Due to a Safari error, this topic was posted multiple times.
Due to a Safari error, this topic was posted multiple times. I have posted replies at those duplicate posts to reply here on this thread. Thanks!

On 2010-02-01 14:17:11 -0500, (e-mail address removed) said:Hi Elvin,[...
On 2010-02-01 14:17:11 -0500, (e-mail address removed) said

Hi Elvin

[...

I believe that the root of the problem is that your files do not hav
an extension. Even on a Mac (especially now in Snow Leopard)
extensions are critically important
DO you have any problem if you send a file that already has the prope
extension?

Corenti

-
--- Office:Mac MVP http://www.cortig.net/wordpress/ --
http://www.mvps.org - http://mvp.support.microsoft.co
MVPs are not MS employees - Les MVP ne travaillent pas pour M
Remove "NoSpam" to e-mail me - Retirez "NoSpam" pour m'?crire

They definitely have their extensions.
They definitely have their extensions. We work in a cross-platform environment, so all our Mac users save and show their extensions. <br><br>-elvin-

On 2010-02-02 12:30:30 -0500, ElvinC@officeformac.
On 2010-02-02 12:30:30 -0500, (e-mail address removed) said:

Then I do not remember ever seeing that.
Zipping the files might be a workaround (which is silly for a file
format that is already zipped).
In the preferences, what method is used for encoding?? Have you tried
changing it?
All I can think of is that the client on the other end is messing up
the attachments as it de-encodes them,

Corentin

--
--- Office:Mac MVP http://www.cortig.net/wordpress/ ---
http://www.mvps.org - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
MVPs are not MS employees - Les MVP ne travaillent pas pour MS

Yep. I'd agree that zipping files is overkill.
Yep. I'd agree that zipping files is overkill. <br><br>Encoding is AppleDouble (for any computer), no compression. I have confirmed that this is a problem across multiple PC machines consistently when accessed from our campus webmail client and apparently from at least one Eudora client. Whatever it is, it is not telling the PCs the right way to open the thing.

I have tried two different kinds of web email clients (to two different
I have tried two different kinds of web email clients (to two different recipients) now so it is not the recipients email server. What I will test next is sending the pptx xlsx docx files from a different email account using Entourage. <br><br>-elvin-

What I see at the client end...on the PC...
What I see at the client end...on the PC...if you have the PC choose &quot;Open With&quot; and by default it does choose Word, it produces the error &quot;Word cannot start the converter mswrd632.wpc&quot;. It does this a few times and sometimes if you repeated click ok...the file will actually open. Other times, particularly if you choose &quot;show help&quot; then &quot;ok&quot;, then you will be brought to the choose different encoding window. <br><br>Choosing save to disk when you click on the attachment, saves no problem, proper extension and opens beautifully. As far as I can see when you go with &quot;Open With...&quot;, it treats it like a .doc, .xls, .ppt file (even showing it with a .docx.doc, .xlsx.xls, or .pptx.ppt extension!). So it is using the right app but thinking it is in a different format. <br><br>More testing later. <br><br>-elvin-

Sent test message from home also using Entourage with different SMTP and it
Sent test message from home also using Entourage with different SMTP and it still appears that the files are misidentified for the purpose on PCs for &quot;Open With...&quot; <br><br>The PCs I am testing are running Windows XP if that matters.

I am surprised others are not running into this and easily able to reproduce
I am surprised others are not running into this and easily able to reproduce this problem.

On 2010-02-02 21:02:14 -0500, ElvinC@officeformac.
On 2010-02-02 21:02:14 -0500, (e-mail address removed) said:

I have never ever had any problem with file encoding.
The only cases when I saw that with others were 1) old client used on
the PC and 2) a weird SMTP server that was messing up the encoding.

Have you tried selecting a different encoding method?

??????????Corentin

--
--- Office:Mac MVP http://www.cortig.net/wordpress/ ---
http://www.mvps.org - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
MVPs are not MS employees - Les MVP ne travaillent pas pour MS

AppleDouble, BinHex, and MIME/Base64 all reproduce the problem but UNIX
AppleDouble, BinHex, and MIME/Base64 all reproduce the problem but UNIX encoding does not. I have switched our machines to default to that and hopefully that should solve the problem. <br><br>-elvin-

Still trouble with UNIX encoding.
Still trouble with UNIX encoding. Finding that BinHex (Macintosh) format seems to work on PCs when I get the messages via webmail. Testing now with colleague's Eudora PC client.

Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
SharePoint - Managing Unused or Archive sites automatically
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...5b-a2a8deb60cad/sharepoint--managing-unu.aspx

J

jaf123

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC Email Client: imap Mac users who receive this with Entourage have no problem. But if users on PCs or those who receive the message with a web client, will find the file misidentified as a .doc document and thus creating problems with MSWord tries to open .docx document as a .doc. (converter errors happen). Similar problems happen with .pptx and .xlsx documents.
Webmail clients identify the application creator as msword (when the attachment is sent from Entourage) when it should be (application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document).
I also find that when the feature append file extension is used for fileswithout extensions, Entourage (at least 2004) is attaching .doc suffix to ..docx files that are missing suffixes. In some webclients, I see that the attachments are being downloaded/opened with ".docx.doc" suffixes.
The work around has been to have PC users download the document and correct the extensions. This is hardly acceptable since it will continue the grudge that files from Mac users are problematic, even when they are Microsoftfiles being sent by Microsoft email clients.
So there is something about how Entourage packages .docx, .pptx, .xlsx attachments that somehow misidentifies the documents as plain .doc, .ppt, and.xls documents.
-elvin-

J

jaf123

I also find that when the feature append file extension is used for fileswithout extensions, Entourage (at least 2004) is attaching .doc suffix to ..docx files that are missing suffixes. In some webclients, I see that the attachments are being downloaded/opened with ".docx.doc" suffixes.
The work around has been to have PC users download the document and correct the extensions. This is hardly acceptable since it will continue the grudge that files from Mac users are problematic, even when they are Microsoftfiles being sent by Microsoft email clients.
So there is something about how Entourage packages .docx, .pptx, .xlsx attachments that somehow misidentifies the documents as plain .doc, .ppt, and.xls documents.
-elvin-

J

jaf123

-elvin-

Researching this problem has identified multiple Mac web-clients (as
senders of .docx files) and multiple Windows web-clients (as
recipients of .doc instead of .docx --also the case for .xlsx changed
to .xls). Has anyone investigated the potential for the mail server
being responsible? I've had one respondent suggest this.

C

Corentin Cras-Méneur

I have Mac users sending .docx and .xlsx files via e-mail to PC users
running WinXP and sometimes (not every time) the file extension changes
--the 'x' is stripped of the end. This makes Word or Excel or the
associated converter unable to deal with it. Renaming the file by
adding the 'x' works as a band-aid but I have been unable to find and
treat the root cause.

That looks like a server-side issue (sending or receiving end). The
extensions get stripped to 3 characters.
You can test this for instance by sending a .html file and checking
whether the recipient gets a .html or .htm

Corentin

E

ElvinC

One partial explanation is that the problem was being experienced by a legacy Eudora user. We could see that Eudora was truncating the filename to 3 letters and thus explaining why double clicking was having Word attempt opening it as a .doc document rather than .docx. I am double checking a different issue why our university webmail client treats .docx files as application/msword same as .doc files.

J

jhmeyers

Researching this problem has identified multiple Mac web-clients (as
senders of .docx files) and multiple Windows web-clients (as
recipients of .doc instead of .docx --also the case for .xlsx changed
to .xls). Has anyone investigated the potential for the mail server
being responsible? I've had one respondent suggest this.

It is due to the attachments being sent with "Content-type:"
MIME headers that include Macintosh "Creator and file type" codes
(which are hex encodings of up 4 ascii characters each), e.g

x-mac-type="584C5334" ["XLS4" in hexadecimal ascii]
x-mac-creator="5843454C" ["XCEL" in hexadecimal ascii] <== our Bad Guy

On the recipient side, these parameters are taken to identify
the attachment as being a type which must have an ".xls"
extension to be understood by Windows as being that kind of file,
so that extension is forced upon the stored file.

In Eudora, a "[Mappings]" section of program file "Deudora.ini"
(not of user's settings file "Eudora.ini) contains such Macintosh
type and creator codes, which causes the given effect. Replacing
those codes with empty strings corrects the problem in Eudora,
including the problem that Eudora itself inserts Mac type/creator codes
when it even sends attachments, due to the very same "mappings" entries,
so that the same single cure fixes both problems at the same time.

--

Ask a Question