Server side automation, what a stupid idea of not supporting it :-(

G

G. Tarazi

I know, "Microsoft office will not work well if used with server side automation", this is according to that article posted on Microsoft

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q257757

And there is one sentence inside that will scare everyone "Microsoft does not recommend or support server-side Automation of Office"

Of course every one knows why (or at least this is what I am thinking), simply, someone is afraid about licensing :), server side automation = maybe = less licenses.

But for some companies, server side automation is very important, here is an example, I have a large application built by Microsoft InfoPath, that loads and saves to a server, and I want Microsoft Word 2003 to do diff on the InfoPath rich text boxes during the save.

The idea is nice, and I was able to implement it with 20 lines of code (Word 2003 Automation), and a lot of suffering just to get word to work on the server side.

But anyway, I cannot implement it to production, because it will not be supported by Microsoft, and it is not supported by Microsoft because office is does not work well on the server side, and it is not working well there, because no one from Microsoft tried to make it so.

Thanks good there is Linux, if Microsoft does not want their office to be used on server side automation; no problems, I believe that there is a Linux application some ware that uses a Linux office with server side automation.

Completion: give the client what he wants, or some one else will be more that happy too.

Thanks

Ask a Question