Snow Leopard (10.6) Entourage Crashes with office attachments

U

unidesk_ch

Naturally I decided to test a bit more and put the Office 2008 Identities back into the Prevent section which caused issues again with attachments after I restarted Entourage. The problem now though is that I removed the Office 2008 Identities again and can't get the attachments to work still with text in the search box. Not sure yet why earlier this worked and not it isn't. I have tried Rebuild the Entourage Spotlight index but still no luck.

Oh well serves me right for claiming 1 victory earlier.

D

Diane Ross

I get the pinwheel of death (beach ball) anytime I have text in the Search box
then selecting and attaching the file.

I've seen that behavior in Snow Leopard using a script that inserts text.

T

theoyster

Actually, the problem all of us are having doesn't have anything to do with Entourage. Its not an Office issue at all. It appears to have something to do with Snow Leopard and Exchange.

I have two clients who are also experiencing this issue. Both are using Exchange, both are using Snow Leopard. But only one is using Entourage (2008, fully updated of course). The other is using Apple Mail, and actually doesn't have Office at all...she uses iWork '09. The client not using Entourage has this issue chronically, and yet, when she attaches files to emails from her personal IMAP acct, no beachballs at all.

I'm experimenting now with my Entourage using customer, because I think the problem is Spotlight related somehow. In the privacy pane of Spotlight's preferences, I've added her entire hard drive to the exclude list. Of course, this means that she can't search her HD anymore. But she's OK with that for a few days if it means getting to the bottom of the problem. So I'll know in the next 24-48 hours of the problem is actually Spotlight related or not.

Of course, if it is Spotlight related, that's nice to know, but it creates a different problem because neither client is willing to do without Spotlight endlessly. So I don't know what will happen there. But for everyone here looking at Office as being the issue, it isn't. Its more global than that.

-oyster

B

boojiboy1000

I find that Entourage crashes when I use "Search For" in finders sidebar. If I actually navigate to a file it is fine.

D

Diane Ross

I find that Entourage crashes when I use "Search For" in finders sidebar. If I
actually navigate to a file it is fine.

It's time to start your own thread so we have YOUR info and details.

What type of account? (POP, IMAP, Exchange)
What version of Entourage and update applied.
What version of the OS?

There is a known problem using Spotlight in Snow Leopard. We'll have to wait
for Apple to fix it.

K

Kathie

I'm having the same problem with Entourage. It keeps crashing when I
attach files. Anybody solved the problem?

I have the same problem, reinstalled Office and it worked for a while
and now stopped. This is a total pain. Any other solutions? I don't
have any duplicate fonts.

K

Keith Kaminski

Seeing this issue on 10.6.1 when attaching a document but only if using the Search functionality. Meaning drag and drop work fine, as does selectinga file directly and attaching it (double-clicking). I get the pinwheel of death (beach ball) anytime I have text in the Search box then selecting andattaching the file.

Tried on a user running Leopard 10.5.8 and this issue does not happen. Weboth are running the same version of Entourage and the same MS updates. Seems to be the problem is with Snow Leopard. Interested in knowing if othersare only seeing the issue with text in the Search box as well.

I have cleared any duplicate fonts so that shouldn't be the issue.

We've been seeing this issue (deadly beach ball) when doing a search
in attaching a document to be uploaded. We deleted Microsoft Office
and saw a drastic reduction in the # of crashes, but it still exists.
So far, the crashes have been when uploading something to Wordpress
and Chimpmail - each time when we do a search within the document
selection dialog box.

Ask a Question