sp1 installation

R

Robert_Menzies

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

when installing sp1 it bogs down at " select volume where you want to install office 2008 sp1. It give 2 options neither of which are accepted, machdd and bootcamp. The installation does not proceed past this point.

S

scott_m29

I'm seeing this too. But after a while it finally shows up and indicates the updater cannot be installed on this volume. I have 12.2.0 installed without any changes to the Office folder name, location or contents (one knowledge base item somewhere here indicates those could be the culprit). I've repaired permissions and restarted just to be safe - still no go.
It looks like this installer has some issues, or something that got installed with 10.5.8 perhaps? I'm not sure yet.
That's why I came browsing around here - to see if Microsoft had any other suggestions, or, a new installer?

I'm open to ideas. Sorry I didn't have an easy fix to solve the problem for you.

R

Robert_Menzies

I just tried to run the installation again with nothing running and still it bogs down at the same place.

R

Robert_Menzies

The error messege states " You cannot install 2008 SP! (12.1.0) on this volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not found o this volume".

??? What to do next?

D

Diane Ross

??? What to do next?

Restart your computer. Some users have had to restart up to 4 times. This is
the explanation given to me:

<quote>
the Apple Installer (which we use for our updates) creates a temp folder
to do the update. We are finding that some times (very small percent, and we
have not narrowed down the cause) the temp folder does not get deleted after
the update is done.

When we go to start another update, if that temp folder is still it is
locked and we cannot write to that space. Thus we fail. Restarting causes
that temp folder to be deleted. Thus, when the updater launches it does not
find the pre-existing folder and then can write a new one.</quote>

Be sure to restart between each update.

Steps to re-install Office

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/install/reinstall_steps.html>

T

TinaD

I have doe what Diane has suggested NUMEROUS times to no avail! I still cannot install the update.. Please help!!

Ask a Question