Get External Data
Run Saved Query
MSN MoneyCentral Stock Quotes and select Get Data
Click Ok at the Return External Data Microsoft Excel dialog
Type in your stock quotes followed by a comma after each quote and
click Ok
Using this method you can save as Xlsx or any Excel file format and your
query will refresh

Thanks for your understanding with this issue!
Fergal Condron,
Macintosh Business Unit
Microsoft Corp.
This posting is provided ³AS IS² with no warranties, and confers no rights.

S

Sara Goodgame

Has there been any progress in getting the Stock quote query to work properly? I just installed Office 2008 Sunday and have had the same problem. it worked fine the first time, then after saving the spreadsheet in the new format it no longer works. I can retrieve one stock quote at a time, but it no longer accepts the data range of column containing ticker symbols in "get value from following cell" of Parameters window. I get the error "selection can be a single cell only" that others have reported.

B

Bob Greenblatt

Has there been any progress in getting the Stock quote query to work properly?
I just installed Office 2008 Sunday and have had the same problem. it worked
fine the first time, then after saving the spreadsheet in the new format it no
longer works. I can retrieve one stock quote at a time, but it no longer
accepts the data range of column containing ticker symbols in "get value from
following cell" of Parameters window. I get the error "selection can be a
single cell only" that others have reported.
Can you describe in more detail exactly what configuration you are using,
and how the data and query is constructed. I have had no trouble with this
and have been using a multiple symbol (>30) query regularly.

S

Sara Goodgame

I did not write the query, I am not that knowledgeable. I copied the page from someone else but it has worked for me for many years, thru office X, office 2004, and now fails in 2008 without, as far as I can tell, my having made any changes. I have worksheet 1 which contains a long list of stocks and positions. some positions occupy more than one line (dividend payments recorded), so that for instance, row one would have AAPL in column A, row 2 would have nothing in column A, row three would have the next symbol in column A. A separate workseet contains the MSN Stock Quote web query provided by microsoft with the application - not one i've written, and it can not be edited. Using the external data palatte to review the query's parameters, I find in the External Data Range Properties page, the following items checked: Save query definition, enable background refresh, import html tables only, and insert cells for new data, delete unused cells. on the Parameters page, the Parameter name is "QUOTE", and under How Parameter value is obtained:, the third radio button is checked: Get the value from the following cell: which is filled in with the data range from sheet 1, column a of all the ticker symbols as follows: =Sheet1!$A$2:$A$20. This has worked fine for years, but now when I hit the data refresh button, I get the message earlier described..."selection can be a single cell only". I also get that same error if I open this parameters window and try to OK out of it. changing that cell range to a single cell causes the query to work properly, but only for the contents of one cell - I need it to continue operating on a range of cells. I have temporarily gotten around the issue by manually typing all the symbols, comma delimited, in one cell on the worksheet, but I wish to get it back to working automatically as I often change the tickers and other contents of the worksheet, and being able to use the range ensured that everything updated automatically without my manual intervention. I vaguely recall this same error message occuring a number of years ago, and it seems the solution was fairly simple, but I can't remember what it was or how I finally found it. It may have been a matter of downloading a bug patch or of my having something unknown and unwanted in the column, but it was not an issue with the query itself, which has never changed.

P

Pat McMillan

I believe the poster was referring to the issue described by Fergal in this
thread: http://www.officeformac.com/ProductForums/Excel/2320.

If so, we don't have an update at this time. We are investigating it and
considering it for a future update. In the meantime, you should be able to
use the workaround provided by Fergal in his post.

Thanks,

Pat

Ask a Question