Stuck on Office 2003 Menus, Task Bars, etc.

Reaction score
I purchased a couple Office Professional 2003 load disks (as you can guess) a bunch of years ago. I have observed with uneasiness each new Office release in which the canvas (useable screen) gets smaller and the menus and icons and task bars take up more and more real estate. Is there a plug-in or template or 3rd party app or overlay or something (?) that would allow me to upgrade to a newer version of Office, say 2007 or 2010 or ...? and continue to use keystrokes and icons and menu selections, etc, as if I were still using Office 2003 but actually be using Office 2007 or 2010 or ?? In other words, my screen and my keyboarding and mousing would APPEAR as if I were in still in Office 2003 but the "engine under the hood" would be 2007 or 2010 or ??. Maybe wishful thinking or an old timer being dragged screaming and kicking into the current day.

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
There are indeed 3rd-party addins that were created to give Word 2007, at least, the menu appearance & behaviour of Word 2003. Whether they work with Word 2010 & later, I can't say. Do note that you can hide the Ribbon in Word 2007 & later so that it only displays when you click on a 'menu' entry across the top of the screen.

Ask a Question