Style Gallery View

Reaction score
I rely heavily on the Style Gallery in the Customized Ribbon while working in MS Word and the display of the Style Gallery has recently changed (to my disgust).

Style Gallery – MS Word has always displayed styles as below (which I liked) showing styles on two lines - with top line as 'AaBbCcDd..' in the the actual style and the bottom line with name of style. These styles are spaced narrowly right next to each other so many more fit in the Style Gallery display
StyleGalleryOriginal.jpg

But a few weeks ago, MS Word started displaying styles as below (which I detest) showing just one line showing one line of style name in the actual style. These styles are widely spaced with lots of white space between styles so only a few fit in the Style Gallery.
StyleGalleryChanged.jpg

Why?
Did this change because there is an option/setup change that I mistakenly changed somehow to cause this and need to change back?
Was this due to an update of some sort by Microsoft that was installed automatically by them?
How do I get back to the style MS Word always displayed?

Thanks.
Ron Wiseman

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi, ronwiseman,
I don't think you changed anything to cause this - I think this is a new 'feature' as I am getting a similarly changed style gallery. Strangely I have not been able to find anything out about this online, so as you say, its pretty new.

Sorry I have not been of use solving this for you.

If you do find a way to change this back to the previous display please post here, as others may find it helpful.

Many thanks
Brimelow

Reaction score
Just opened up a Microsoft word document and the 'Style Gallery' displayed as it used to with the original setup and NOT the widely-spaced styles. Even opened a bew document and they was the original narrowly-speced style ....Hooray! Apparently a new update came through that reinstitued the narrowly-spaced display as I did nothing to change anything in MS Word. Hopefully it stays that way.

Ron Wiseman

Reaction score
Following this as well, as I can't find any other references to this anywhere! Glad to see that it is possibly being reverted, but not yet in my experience. I'm running the "Current Channel". I first saw this in Outlook, maybe a few weeks ago - and then more recently in Word. Given your last reply here, I just updated to the latest 2111 (Build 14701.20248 - released yesterday), hoping to see this disappear - but unfortunately, I'm still stuck with the updated / "simplified" style menu. It wouldn't be a terrible option for some to have, but there needs to be an option to set this back to the classic experience!

Frustratingly, there is not even any mention I can find of this in the official release notes: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/current-channel

Ask a Question