Styles Across Multiple Documents

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a reference guide that consists of seven large documents. I use a master document and link the rest of the files to the master. Each file is several hundred pages long and the final document is over 1000 pages. As I move from one revision to the next, I often break up the documents into smaller sections and send them to other team members for technical updates. I then roll all the changes back into the master set to create the next revision.

My problem is with the styles. I have an approved set of styles that I use and that my team uses. However, I'm always getting "style creep" in these documents. Styles like Balloon Text and some of our custom styles with numbers appended (for example, Header Landscape 1, 11, 12, and so on) continue to appear over and over in these files. These styles are not coming from my team (I don't often copy and paste into my master anyway, to avoid these types of problems and, if I do, I clear all the styles used and reformat the section when I paste it into the master). I've used the "Import/Export" dialog to remove all of the unwanted styles in all of the documents over and over. I've right clicked and deleted all the unwanted styles in the list of styles in all of the documents over and over. I just can't seem to get these unwanted styles to stay out of my documents. I tried restricting the styles, but I can't then add a "Page Break Before" to paragraphs in the documents to control pagination. I want to be able to list the styles in the current document and just have a stable set that appears regularly. It's driving me mad and taking up large chunks of time that I just can't spare.

Does anyone know how to maintain a stable set of styles across linked documents? I'm running Windows 8.1 and Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013.

Thanks in Advance!

Reaction score
Get into the organizer and copy the necessary styles into each smaller document from the main document. The recipient will then have access to your requested set of styles right away.

It will take 5 minutes

Ask a Question