Sumif using partial string

Reaction score
Win 10, Excel 2003

I download a .csv file from my bank account and import it to an Excel spreadsheet. I can then create a new column showing only those transactions containing "Publix, using the formula: =IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("PUBLIX",$C34)),$D34,""). Then I can sum the column to find how much I spend at Publix. I believe this process can be condensed into one statement using ISNUMBER but I can't get it right. My best effort: =SUMIF($C33:$C79,(isnumber(find "publix")),$D33:$D79), where the store data is in col. C and the amounts in col. D.

Reaction score
If I'm understanding this correctly you could use a SUMIF function. You would just write =sumif(c:c,"Publix",d:d)
This would some the corresponding values in D if that row also had Publix in column C.
Hope this helps.
Amy

Reaction score
Thanks, Amy. Your suggestion would work if "Publix" were the only word in the range. Here's the actual text:
"PUBLIX SUPER M 02/17 #000950936 PURCHASE PUBLIX SUPER MAR SUNRISE FL"
I need to isolate the word "Publix" because all entries are different by date and serial number. The formula "=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("PUBLIX",$C34)),$D34,"")" does that for each line, making a column, but I don't know how to incorporate ISNUMBER into the SUMIF formula.

Bob

Reaction score
I think you need to create a column to test whether the cell contains "PUBLIX" - this would be on a cell by cell basis using ISNUMBER - for example =ISNUMBER(SEARCH("PUBLIX",A1)) would return TRUE if A1 contains PUBLIX. Run this formula down the column and you would have a column of nothing but TRUE and FALSE.

Then your SUMIF would work from this data. It would simply be =SUMIF([range of data containing the TRUE and FALSE results],"TRUE",[range of data with the numerical values])

Reaction score
What about:

=SUMIF(A:A, "*publix*",B:B)

This should total the B column if Publix is anywhere in the first column's text. The quotes surround the string and the * on either side indicates any characters before or after the letters publix.

Ask a Question