Switching between windows in Excel 2004 (v11.5.2) and OS10.5.5

K

Ken_Hosking

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

I continue to have a problem when switching from one open window to another in Excel 2004. Whereas previously I could merely click on an exposed part of an open file to change from the foremost window to the one partly hidden, now nothing happens. Similarly if the toolbar command to switch windows is used, at best erratic changing is experienced. At present the most reliable way of changing windows is to use command-~. This behaviour occurs with all files, not just specific files and has happened only in the past few weeks. Other bizarre behaviour includes allocation by Excel of strange numbers when another window is opened in the active file - previously it logically number the windows 1 and 2, now it seems to forget that one of the windows has been closed and allocates another number, 3, 4 etc.

D

DCS

Would like to learn if this is a related issue:
I am running Excel (v11.5.2) on a Mac Book Pro (OS10.5.5) and cannot move, resize, close or maximize windows, with either the touch pad or a USB mouse. I can scroll. THX

K

Ken_Hosking

Wow, your problem makes mine seem pretty minor. I have no problems re-sizing, closing or maximising windows: my problem is only that of switching from one window to another.

I have noticed that the problem seems to get worse as the file sizes and numbers of open files increase. In older versions of Excel it was possible to adjust the amount of memory allocated to Excel, but I don't know if this is still possible or whether it would be of assistance anyway.

When this problem first emerged I had problems entering data on occasions, as reported in other forums, but this problem seems to have disappeared.

One possible factor is that I think that the first time I noticed either the data entry and the window problem was after working on a file sent to me in Excel 2003 format from a PC user, but the problem is not confined to this file.

I have noticed in the past that Excel files which have been copied as a "save as" and then expanded several times tend to become unstable.

Ask a Question