Symbol fonts in Powerpoint

R

raul

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I open both Word 2008 and Powerpoint 2008. I chose Symbol font in Word 2008 and type a word which shows nicely in Greek letters. I copy this word and paste it into Powerpoint 2008 et voila!! Powerpoint replaces the Symbol font by another font and I can not see the Greek letters anymore. I need the Greek letters? Anyone knows what is going on?

C

CyberTaz

The default for pasting text in PPT is to assume the formatting of the
placeholder being pasted into. To retain the source formatting either;

A) Use the Paste Options button that appears after pasting, or
B) Use Edit> Paste Special - Styled Text

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

R

raul

Thank you, Bob:
However, if I do it the way you say, then the pasted text appears in Powerpoint as special object and can not be edited or modified within Powerpoint. The real problem is that Powerpoint translates the Symbol Font into other fonts and I do not know how to remove this option. The problem is as simple as trying to write "pi=3.141529..." and instead of "pi" writing the corresponding Greek letter. It is very annoying for those of us who want to write simple text in scientific presentations and it has made me abandon Powerpoint 2008 in favor of Powerpoint 2004.
Raul

C

CyberTaz

No offense, but if that's your result you are no following my directions
correctly :) You're probably accepting the default in the Paste Special
dialog to paste as a 'Microsoft Word Document Object'.

Make sure to select the *Styled Text* option from the 'Paste As:' list. If
you're pasting into a placeholder or text box the content will be inserted
into that box. Otherwise a new text box will be created for the content
automatically. Either way the text will be fully editable.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones

S

Stuart Solin

I want to use the Symbol font in Powerpoint for Mac 2008. Although the Symbol font is listed, as usual, with all the other fonts, the text such as Greek letters designated as Symbol only shows up in another Engilish letter font. What gives? I tried the cut and paste method you suggested and it works fine but it is very inconvenient/awkward/cumbersome.
Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

I open both Word 2008 and Powerpoint 2008. I chose Symbol font in Word 2008 and type a word which shows nicely in Greek letters. I copy this word and paste it into Powerpoint 2008 et voila!! Powerpoint replaces the Symbol font by another font and I can not see the Greek letters anymore. I need the Greek letters? Anyone knows what is going on?
On Friday, February 19, 2010 1:23 PM CyberTaz wrote:
The default for pasting text in PPT is to assume the formatting of the
placeholder being pasted into. To retain the source formatting either;

A) Use the Paste Options button that appears after pasting, or
B) Use Edit> Paste Special - Styled Text

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones

On 2/19/10 12:24 PM, in article (e-mail address removed)2ac0,

Ask a Question