Sync problem - all Exchange info deleted buthave local backup. Can I restore with that?

A

alexjohnson

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange I backed up my Entourage database as my MacBook was going in for repair. Somewhere in the process of moving it to my iMac and back to the MacBook over the weekend, the entire contents of my Exchange 2003 account (mail, contacts, calendars) were erased. This is the second time this has happened - I wish I knew what caused it - but that is not in itself the problem (though I hope someone at Microsoft thinks this is a very big problem).

When this happened previously the process of getting a backup from my work IT people was unbelievably cumbersome. They are working on this now.

However, I have two backups of my own. One is on my iMac, where I have been able to turn it offline. I am aware that the minute I go online, all those mails will be erased themselves as the accounts are "helpfully" syncronised. Is there any way to re-sync using the tools I have on my own Mac and push that back?

The other - and I know this is Mactopia - is the .pst on my work PC; I have not turned on Outlook 2003 since coming in to the office. I am wondering if it can be used? My local IT people are unsure which is why I ask. (For the sake of this question, the backups are there but not immediately accessible, and there is also a cost attached.)

So:
1. Can I restore from an Entourage database?
2. Can I restore from an Outlook .pst?
3. Does anyone know the cause of these sync-related deletions and how I can make sure I don't do it again?

Many thanks!

A

alexjohnson

My IT guys were very effective and have restored from the offsite backup. So the problem has been solved.

However, this has happened two times in six months.

I can remove one question - I don't care about the Windows client. But:
1. Can I restore from an Entourage database?
2. Does anyone know the cause of these sync-related deletions and how I can make sure I don't do it again?

It seems to happen when I move the database. I don't know how as I often rebuild the database, and have restored it several times from Time Machine. But something in moving an Entourage Database seems to have the potential to cause all Exchange data to be lost. Does this happen to anyone else?

I am also wondering how to prevent it. On my iPhone, I can just turn off the Exchange account (which I often do when travelling). If I need to move my Outlook database in future (to a new Mac for example) would I be wise to remove the Exchange account first, transfer the database, and then load the Exchange account and resync? It seems I would.

Ask a Question