Tab won't indent when using Word outline

S

S79

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Hi,
A couple months ago, my tab button stopped indenting in Word when I use an outline and want to go from a "I." to "a." for example. I've dealt with just clicking on the "indent" button on the formatting palatte, but it is just getting way too frustrating to do. Any ideas on what happened ("tab" and "shift-tab" was working fine when I first got the computer) and also how to correct it. Thanks. (step-by-step point and click directions would be helpful if possible). Thanks a million!

C

codonboy

Just got the answer:

1. Make sure that 'Automatic Numbered Lists' and 'Tabs & backspace set left indent' are checked in the 'AutoCorrect' dialog box under 'AutoFormat as You Type.'
2. You can access this box from Tools > AutoCorrect > AutoFormat As You Type.

C

codonboy

And here are the two shortcuts:

1. TAB: increases left indent

2. Shift-TAB: decreases left indent

D

David Contrada, Vermont Law

Just got the answer:
1. Make sure that 'Automatic Numbered Lists' and 'Tabs & backspace set left indent' are checked in the 'AutoCorrect' dialog box under 'AutoFormat asYou Type.'

Thank God for this post. I am the mellowest guy in the world, and was
about to break something.

D

deniseporter13

Thank God for this post. I am the mellowest guy in the world, and was
about to break something.

Amen! Just saved me a lot of time and heartache when I could ill-afford it! Thanks so much.

R

rywblack

Just got the answer:

1. Make sure that 'Automatic Numbered Lists' and 'Tabs & backspace set left indent' are checked in the 'AutoCorrect' dialog box under 'AutoFormat as You Type.'

Ooooh, that was pissing me off. Thanks

A

agmaggio

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

Hi,

A couple months ago, my tab button stopped indenting in Word when I use an outline and want to go from a "I." to "a." for example. I've dealt with just clicking on the "indent" button on the formatting palatte, but it is just getting way too frustrating to do. Any ideas on what happened ("tab" and "shift-tab" was working fine when I first got the computer) and also howto correct it. Thanks. (step-by-step point and click directions would behelpful if possible). Thanks a million!

Both the automatic numbering and Tabs and backspace set at Indent boxes arechecked and word is still not allowing me to create an outline properly using the TAB. Tab won't function at all. About to throw my mac. Help.

A

aimeethueme

Thank you so much for the help! Initially it was hard to find the tabs. I went to the drop down menu > More Commands > Proofing > AutoCorrect Options > made sure everything was checked.

D

darcy787

Hi,

A couple months ago, my tab button stopped indenting in Word when I use an outline and want to go from a "I." to "a." for example. I've dealt with just clicking on the "indent" button on the formatting palatte, but it is just getting way too frustrating to do. Any ideas on what happened ("tab" and "shift-tab" was working fine when I first got the computer) and also howto correct it. Thanks. (step-by-step point and click directions would behelpful if possible). Thanks a million!

Thanks for this post! I had the same problem

T

txh032

Both the automatic numbering and Tabs and backspace set at Indent boxes are checked and word is still not allowing me to create an outline properly using the TAB. Tab won't function at all. About to throw my mac. Help.

Hi Agma

I have exactly the same issue as you. Did you manage to find a solution. Please I'm losing my mind

C

cookjessia

Just got the answer:

Thank you so much! This is what I needed!

D

davidalebeau

Hi,

Awesome! Thank you!

Ask a Question