Table Header Cells keep shifting

Reaction score
I have looked all over for answers to this. Why do my table header row cells keep shifting away from the columns they represent in Word 2016. I have tried unchecking the "Automatically resize to fit contents" button. Nothing works, it is frustrating, especially when on a tight deadline. Attached a photo to show.

Attachments

• 1544716636249778795697610832620.jpg
    1544716636249778795697610832620.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 168

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Perhaps they're actually separate tables that only appear to be one. This can happen if you've tried to join two tables that had different alignments at the time.

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Without actually seeing the problem table, it can be difficult for anyone to diagnose the issue. Can you attach a document to a post with that table (delete anything sensitive)? You do this via the 'Upload a File' tab at the bottom of the posting window.

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I suspect what has happened is that, at some stage, you selected just the header row (or the data rows) and applied specific column widths there, rather than for the whole table, with the result that the column widths of un-selected range were thereafter independent of the range you adjusted. I find that, once I get the columns back into alignment, they stay that way.

Reaction score
I can't say for sure that that hasn't happened as multiple people have been working on the document through sharepoint. But usually I am the person that does all the formatting and the only thing I have done is drag the lines to move column widths. I will have go in and see if I can check that as it is possible that the others may have tried to format them.

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
the only thing I have done is drag the lines to move column widths
If you did that when having only the header row selected, or only the data rows selected, whichever row(s) you didn't select wouldn't get adjusted.

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I went back and selected Distribute Columns Evenly and then resized them by dragging the columns and it took care of the problem.

Ask a Question