Table of content - format does not get saved

Reaction score
I am going crazy, I keep changing the toc over and over and every time I open the document the format has changed back to an ugly format. I go in and use a custom toc and format it to use my saved headers, but when i close and open it again I have to do it again because it jumps back to default. It looks good until i print it or close it. The printed version looks good but when I return to the document after clicking print, the format has changed. I have saved it both in the cloud and local. It is not locked in any way.

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You need to modify the individual TOC Styles; merely selecting the Table of Contents and changing its formatting won't work for the simple reason that TOC fields reference what is in the corresponding TOC Styles and anything that doesn't conform to that is liable to be lost every time anything causes the Table of Contents to refresh.

Reaction score
You need to modify the individual TOC Styles; merely selecting the Table of Contents and changing its formatting won't work for the simple reason that TOC fields reference what is in the corresponding TOC Styles and anything that doesn't conform to that is liable to be lost every time anything causes the Table of Contents to refresh.
How do i do that? If I use a custom toc and make edits in the settings, why does that not stick? Why is it possible to change if it doesn´t stick? ( I dont make the changes on the toc in the document, but in the settings for custom toc).

Ask a Question