Text per page

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm writing a book and I've basically formatted it with Garamond 12 and I'm getting 30 lines of text per page, but every now and then, I only get 29. Is there something I can turn off so I'll get my 30 lines of text every time? Adjusting the top and bottom margins makes the page jump to 31 lines. I can't get it to be 30.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Bret :)

Margins in Word are set to 1 inch by default. There are 72 points per inch, meaning that the 9 inches of vertical space within the margins is 648 points in length. If you want 30 lines per page, then that means each line should be 21.6 points (being 648 divided by 30).

If you go to the Paragraph options (right click and select Paragraph), you can then specify an exact line height - make sure the spacing before/after is set to 0pt then select Exact from the drop down box, and specify a line height of 21.6pt

Hopefully that should work!

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Bret :)

Margins in Word are set to 1 inch by default. There are 72 points per inch, meaning that the 9 inches of vertical space within the margins is 648 points in length. If you want 30 lines per page, then that means each line should be 21.6 points (being 648 divided by 30).

If you go to the Paragraph options (right click and select Paragraph), you can then specify an exact line height - make sure the spacing before/after is set to 0pt then select Exact from the drop down box, and specify a line height of 21.6pt

Hopefully that should work!

Thanks Becky. It cut down on the number of text short pages, but I'm still getting them, with the odd page of 29 lines. And there's no rhyme or reason to it. Some, it seems because it's a new paragraph. Others, it just chops up in the middle of a paragraph. It makes no sense. The headers and footers are the same, the margins are the same, it just moves the last line onto the next page.

Reaction score
Hmmm... you've got me stumped! You could try checking the options within the 'Line and Page Breaks' tab of the Paragraph menu - make sure that the pagination options are all unticked.

Ask a Question