Transfering Excel 2008 Files to new Mac

C

CMUStan

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel In setting up a new Mac running Snow Leopard, 10.6.2, I used the Migration Wizard to transfer all my files from the old Machine to the new one.
All my files transferred over, but when I open the .xls and .xlsx files none of the text is visible in the worksheet. I can see borders and other non character items in the spread sheet, and I know the text is still there since when I click a cell the text or formula shows up in the formula bar. It just isn't visible in the actual workbook

I have tried changing the color of the text ( incase the text color was the same color as the fill) this didn't resolve the issue.

Also no new text is displayed in any cells either. However if I create a new worksheet it works normally. This issue only appears on xls and xlsx files that were transfer from the old Mac.

I can launch the old files on the old Mac and I tried transferring them via Flash drive as well.
I have also tried to save as, on the new Mac, give them a new name and open the new document.
I have tried to copy all, and paste into a new workbook, with same symptoms.
I have tried opening the files, with the new Mac, while they are located on the old Mac Via a share drive.
I have uninstalled Mac Office 2008 from the new machine, and reinstalled it with all updates.

Old Mac is a "lampshade" iMac G4 with Mac Os 10.4.11 running Office 2008 12.2.3, New Mac is a 19" iMac Intel C2D running Mac Os 10.6.2, with Office 2008 12.2.3

C

CMUStan

Solution: Apparently the Migration Assistant was the issue. The xlx and xlsx files where not damaged, the profile it self was.

I noticed that the files transferred via flash drive worked fine under a different User profile.

So deleted the user, and recreated it, again using the Migration wizard. The Problem was still present.

I again deleted the User Profile, created a new one manually and transferred the users Files manually and the issue was resolved.

Ask a Question