Trouble applying updates

K

Kris

Several days ago I wrote in this forum regarding a problem I had applying several Office updates from the Office Update site. Well, since then I've taken it upon myself to install the updates offline; I downloaded the KB830346 and KB830350 updates. As they were being applied, I entered my Office XP CD, as instructed. However, I received an error which read something to the effect "ERROR 1311. Could not read or find the file D:\Office1.CAB..." My next step was to manually copy the OFFICE1.CAB and its corresponding installation file (i.e. "SEBRET") from the CD to the Office sub-directory on my hard drive and prompt the computer where to look when asked to insert the CD. I am wondering why this error happened. I've never had any trouble in the past when installing updates from the Windows Update site when the original CD was required to complete an operation. My theory is that since OFFICE1.CAB is a hidden file on the CD, and I prompted to remove its hidden attribute once copied to the computer, that might have something to do with the updates installing succesfully. Any suggestions?

Ask a Question