Trouble with footnotes

Reaction score
G'Day Office friends,

I'm using Word 2003 and in some documents footnotes cannot be seen unless I use View-->Normal-->Footnote. Then the footnotes open in a dialogue box at the base of the screen. However, they will not print.

This does not happen with all documents but it's happening too often. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a permanent fix for this so that when I print the document the footnotes will be available?

I ask that your replies be in non-technical language.

I look forward to your responses.

Dougie

Reaction score
I should add that footnote numbering ceased at #23 on p. 44 of my document. The document is 339pp long and has 180 footnotes.

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Your description suggests the problem footnotes after #23 have been formatted as hidden text. Open the footnote range, then choose Ctrl-A, followed by Home|Font and make sure the 'Hidden' option is blank.

Reaction score
Your description suggests the problem footnotes after #23 have been formatted as hidden text. Open the footnote range, then choose Ctrl-A, followed by Home|Font and make sure the 'Hidden' option is blank.

macropod,

Thank you for your kindness in responding so quickly. I've followed your recommendations without success. The 'Hidden' option is blank (blue background but no check mark).

Dougie

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The blue background indicates that some of your footnotes are hidden. Blue is not blank...

Reaction score
The blue background indicates that some of your footnotes are hidden. Blue is not blank...

macropod,

These are the steps I take in Word 2003: View 'Normal' --> View--> footnotes (view footnote area & select)-->Ctrl+A-->Format-->Font-->double click on 'Hidden' to get rid of blue and make blank-->OK-->return to Print Layout.

There are still no footnotes to be seen at the foot of the page.

I would appreciate your wisdom in helping me to know what I'm doing wrong.

Many thanks,

Dougie

Reaction score
What happens if your click on the ¶ symbol on the toolbar?

Here's sample from my library file where I'm having this problem:

From 1997 through 2012, 673 Oregon patients died from ingesting barbiturates prescribed under the state's assisted-suicide law, according to Oregon's most recent data. The most in a year was 77 in 2012.
Write to Jacob Gershman at (e-mail address removed)
A version of this article appeared May 15, 2013, on page A7 in the U.S. edition of The Wall Street Journal, with the headline: Lawmakers in Vermont Approve Assisted Suicide.
++++++++++++

The ¶ symbol (copied from your post) shows in my MS Word text but would not copy and paste in the portion I've shown above.

I don't know if this is an associated problem. With all new documents I start, the footnote texts are in superscript. How do I stop this from happening?

Many thanks,
Dougie

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I didn't say anything about copying the ¶ - I asked what happens when you click on that symbol on (Word's) toolbar.

Reaction score
I didn't say anything about copying the ¶ - I asked what happens when you click on that symbol on (Word's) toolbar.

They show up in the appropriate places in the text but there still are no footnotes seen at the base of the document pages.

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Without actually seeing the problem document, it can be difficult for anyone to diagnose the issue. Can you attach a document to a post with some representative data (delete anything sensitive)? You do this via the paperclip symbol at the bottom of this screen.

Reaction score
Without actually seeing the problem document, it can be difficult for anyone to diagnose the issue. Can you attach a document to a post with some representative data (delete anything sensitive)? You do this via the paperclip symbol at the bottom of this screen.

macropod,

Thanks again for your response.

I'm having problems with a couple of my lengthy library file documents I file on my PC. Attached is one example. You'll also notice that all footnote references in the body of the text have reverted to 'normal' font instead of superscript.

It would not attach. This was the message: 'The uploaded file is too large for the server to process'. Any suggestions for the next step?

Could it be that the file is too long? I can divide it, say, in 2 and see what happens. However, I'll wait until I hear back from you.

Many thanks,
Dougie

Last edited:
Reaction score
macropod,

I've divided my lengthy document into 2 documents. They start with footnotes seen in the Print Layout and finishing with footnotes unseen.

Here is the first half of the previous long document.

Again the message is, 'The uploaded file is too large'. This is for 117pp. Is that length of file too large to upload to this forum? I'll break that one document down further and see what happens. Could it be that my documents are too long and that is causing the issue?

Thanks,
Dougie

Reaction score
macropod,

Let's try the second half of the first attachment that I divided in 2.

Again, 'The uploaded file is too large for the server to process'. It is 217pp long.

Can you send me a private message with you email address and I can attempt to send via email?

Regards,
Dougie

Reaction score
macropod,

I have found the answer on another forum:
Are they footnotes to a table? I have seen this happen when (a) footnote
references were inserted in a table and (b) a table row continued over
several pages. When footnote references appear in a table, Word defers the
footnote to the page on which the row ends. If the row extends over several
pages, and there are a lot of footnotes, by the time you get to the end of
the row, there may not be room for all the footnotes, at which point Word
just throws up its hands and throws in the towel (Suzanne S. Barnhill).
I removed all narrative from a table onto a new page, deleted the table on the old page and replaced it with the replacement - and hunky dory! I'm up and running. In this document, the table was the offending creature to change the flow of footnotes.

Thanks,
Dougie

Ask a Question