Trying to delete ghost line!

R

rroberts

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Power PC

Hi,

I'm having a weird issue with Word 2004 (v. 11.5.3). I created a horizontal line (by typing ---) a few days ago to divide up two parts of a document I was working on. I then attempted to delete the line but it replicated itself instead. I finally managed to delete one of the lines (through a complete fluke; I never actually figured out how to do it), but the other remained. I scoured the help and asked the office assistant, but neither gave me an answer that worked.

So, I copied and pasted my text into a new document, making sure to NOT copy the line. That seemed to work. Or so I thought. The next time I opened up the new document there was that line, back again.

Oh, and it seems to work pretty strangely. If I put my curser at the beginning of the text just after the line and press delete, my text goes up to the paragraph before the line, and the line jumps down to the end of the paragraph that I just moved.

Can anybody tell me how to delete this strange ghost line?

Thanks!

C

CyberTaz

What you need to know is that the automatic feature you used to create the
"line" actually applies a formatting attribute - a bottom Border which is
applied to the paragraph generated when you press return.

To remove it click in the paragraph where the line is, go to Format> Borders
& Shading then select a Border of None.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
MVP Office:Mac

D

djones2

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Power PC

Hi,

I'm having a weird issue with Word 2004 (v. 11.5.3). I created a horizontal line (by typing ---) a few days ago to divide up two parts of a documentI was working on. I then attempted to delete the line but it replicated itself instead. I finally managed to delete one of the lines (through a complete fluke; I never actually figured out how to do it), but the other remained. I scoured the help and asked the office assistant, but neither gave me an answer that worked.

So, I copied and pasted my text into a new document, making sure to NOT copy the line. That seemed to work. Or so I thought. The next time I opened up the new document there was that line, back again.

Oh, and it seems to work pretty strangely. If I put my curser at the beginning of the text just after the line and press delete, my text goes up to the paragraph before the line, and the line jumps down to the end of the paragraph that I just moved.

Can anybody tell me how to delete this strange ghost line?

Thanks!

I have the same darn problem right now! I have no idea how to get it
to go away. It's on a resume.

R

rroberts

I have the same darn problem right now! I have no idea how to get it
to go away. It's on a resume.

Did you try the solution that was suggested above? It worked for me... if it doesn't work for you, I don't know what else could be causing it...

M

marvam

I can't tell you how GRATEFUL I am for answering this question!!! It has been driving me crazy too!! Thanks so much.

N

nora1262

I can't tell you how GRATEFUL I am for answering this question!!! It has been driving me crazy too!! Thanks so much.

OK, WHAT worked!!! I'm trying to find the answer to this, and the answer seems to be MISSING. I'm pulling my !@#%!$#% hair out here. How do you get rid of the ghost line??????

P

Patty Winter

Ask a Question