Turabian style endnote/citation issues

S

SFGal

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Hello,

Please forgive if I've somehow missed the answer to this question. I have scoured the forums looking for it. I am writing my MA thesis using Word 2008 in Leopard and it is due in a few weeks. All programs are fully updated. I've used the Citation Manager with Turabian style to handle the citations and to create a bibliography and list of endnotes, and have used section breaks with chapter headings to create a table of contents. While I've used Word on both PCs and Macs for many years, this is my first experience with a document with sections, a TOC, and so forth. (I have no experience with programming or using Terminal, fwiw)

It is my understanding from the Turabian manual that endnotes must be placed before the bibliography in the final document. However, Word insists on placing them after the bibliography.

I have tried copying and pasting the endnote section into a manually created section between the end of the thesis itself and the bibliography, but then all of the numbering for the endnotes turns to a superscript "1" (which I can manually change for all 137 endnotes), but the TOC will not update to reflect the change.

In addition, I have created simple headers for page numbers only. But for some reason only on the endnote pages there is a 2 inch long line flush left that appears to separate the header from the rest of the page despite the fact that I didn't put it there, and the header is identical for all pages. Only the page number is in the header, upper right hand corner. I cannot get rid of this line on these pages. There is no way to select it.

I'm sure you all can appreciate that there are very precise and specific formatting requirements for academic theses and dissertations, and after working for months on this I really do not want to fight with Word to do what I need it to do.

Can anyone help me?

Many thanks!
Kris

PS, fwiw, I have the exact same problem as Trance77 wrote about on April 21, 2008. My citations also appeared as 1(Strunk, 2008) instead of the full 1William Strunk and E. B. White, The Elements of Style (New York:
Macmillan, 1972), 27. I read Dalya's reply that her copy works the way it is supposed to but I wish I knew how or why. I had to manually enter in the proper information in 137 endnotes. The (Strunk, 2008) style is for parenthetical notes contained within the body of the text, not for endnotes or footnotes. But it is rather moot now. However if there is an answer for it, I'd love to hear it. Cheers.

Y

Yves Dhondt

See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/FootnoteFAQContent.htm#TextAfterNotes

With regards to the formatting being different, it might have something to do with the version of Word you are using. Or the version your document originated from. Word 2007/2010 (Windows) has no support for footnote citations and therefore uses the same formatting in the text as in the footnotes. Only Word 2008 (Mac) has support for footnote citations.

(Organizations imposing such strict formatting guidelines always give me the feeling that the looks are more important than the content to them. I find this frightening. Especially in the field of academic theses and dissertations.)

Yves
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Hello,

Please forgive if I've somehow missed the answer to this question. I have scoured the forums looking for it. I am writing my MA thesis using Word 2008 in Leopard and it is due in a few weeks. All programs are fully updated. I've used the Citation Manager with Turabian style to handle the citations and to create a bibliography and list of endnotes, and have used section breaks with chapter headings to create a table of contents. While I've used Word on both PCs and Macs for many years, this is my first experience with a document with sections, a TOC, and so forth. (I have no experience with programming or using Terminal, fwiw)

It is my understanding from the Turabian manual that endnotes must be placed before the bibliography in the final document. However, Word insists on placing them after the bibliography.

I have tried copying and pasting the endnote section into a manually created section between the end of the thesis itself and the bibliography, but then all of the numbering for the endnotes turns to a superscript "1" (which I can manually change for all 137 endnotes), but the TOC will not update to reflect the change.

In addition, I have created simple headers for page numbers only. But for some reason only on the endnote pages there is a 2 inch long line flush left that appears to separate the header from the rest of the page despite the fact that I didn't put it there, and the header is identical for all pages. Only the page number is in the header, upper right hand corner. I cannot get rid of this line on these pages. There is no way to select it.

I'm sure you all can appreciate that there are very precise and specific formatting requirements for academic theses and dissertations, and after working for months on this I really do not want to fight with Word to do what I need it to do.

Can anyone help me?

Many thanks!
Kris

PS, fwiw, I have the exact same problem as Trance77 wrote about on April 21, 2008. My citations also appeared as 1(Strunk, 2008) instead of the full 1William Strunk and E. B. White, The Elements of Style (New York:
Macmillan, 1972), 27. I read Dalya's reply that her copy works the way it is supposed to but I wish I knew how or why. I had to manually enter in the proper information in 137 endnotes. The (Strunk, 2008) style is for parenthetical notes contained within the body of the text, not for endnotes or footnotes. But it is rather moot now. However if there is an answer for it, I'd love to hear it. Cheers.

S

SFGal

Thank you Yves. Perhaps I wasn't clear. I only use a Mac now, and am using Office for Mac 2008 with all current updates. I looked at the link you sent, and it is for the Windows version of Word. I don't know enough about the program to know whether what works for the Win version will also work for the Mac version, as clearly there are differences.

Can you confirm that the link's information also applies to the Mac version of Word 2008?

It suggests moving the bibliography after the endnotes rather than moving the endnotes before the bibliography. I'm happy to try that, but I wonder whether I will run up against the problem of the table of contents then being incorrect. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Kris

Y

Yves Dhondt

The link is for the Windows version, but I did use the same trick years ago with Word 2004 for Mac. I never tried it in Word 2008, but I would be surprised if it didn't work.

Why would your TOC be incorrect? If page numbering continues across section borders, the TOC should be fine.

I can only think of 2 reasons why you are seeing (Doe, 2008) rather than the full footnote citation. Either the style doesn't support footnote citations (unless you tampered with the xsl files, that is unlikely) or Word doesn't know that it is busy in a footnote. But how that would happen, I have no idea.

Yves
--
BibWord : Microsoft Word Citation and Bibliography styles
http://bibword.codeplex.com
Thank you Yves. Perhaps I wasn't clear. I only use a Mac now, and am using Office for Mac 2008 with all current updates. I looked at the link you sent, and it is for the Windows version of Word. I don't know enough about the program to know whether what works for the Win version will also work for the Mac version, as clearly there are differences.

Can you confirm that the link's information also applies to the Mac version of Word 2008?

It suggests moving the bibliography after the endnotes rather than moving the endnotes before the bibliography. I'm happy to try that, but I wonder whether I will run up against the problem of the table of contents then being incorrect. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Kris

Ask a Question