Unable to do "Save As" in Word 2007

E

emblack

We have a user running Word 2007 which has been working fine for a very long time. Yesterday she lost the ability to do a "Save As" which makes it difficult to save a new document. She can do a Save, not Save As.

System Info:

Toshiba Tecra laptop
Windows XP SP3
Administrator Privilages
Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007

Things I have tried so far:

*She can save in other Office programs.
*Repaired Office
*Uninstalled and Reinstalled Word
*Uninstalled and Reinstalled Office
*Performed a system restore to two days ago. Upon opening Word I could do a Save As. Closed Word and reopened, problem came back.
*Renamed Normal.dotm
*Deleted HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\Office 12.0\Word\Data. Was able to do Save As after first opening Word but after closing and reopening problem returned.
*Deleted all .TMP files and all ~$*.* files. Was able to do Save As on first opening but after closing and reopening Word the problem returned

I have searched but found nothing to fix the problem. I'm hoping someone can help. Thank you in advance.

S

Stefan Blom

See if Save As works if you start Word in Safe mode.

To start in Safe mode: Hold the Windows key on your keyboard as you press R; in the Run dialog, type winword /safe and press Enter (note the space before the slash).

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"emblack" wrote in message
We have a user running Word 2007 which has been working fine for a very long time. Yesterday she lost the ability to do a "Save As" which makes it difficult to save a new document. She can do a Save, not Save As.

System Info:

Toshiba Tecra laptop
Windows XP SP3
Administrator Privilages
Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007

Things I have tried so far:

*She can save in other Office programs.
*Repaired Office
*Uninstalled and Reinstalled Word
*Uninstalled and Reinstalled Office
*Performed a system restore to two days ago. Upon opening Word I could do a Save As. Closed Word and reopened, problem came back.
*Renamed Normal.dotm
*Deleted HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\Office 12.0\Word\Data. Was able to do Save As after first opening Word but after closing and reopening problem returned.
*Deleted all .TMP files and all ~$*.* files. Was able to do Save As on first opening but after closing and reopening Word the problem returned

I have searched but found nothing to fix the problem. I'm hoping someone can help. Thank you in advance.

Ask a Question