Unable to use most fonts when using Czech keyboard layout

M

Michal_Macura

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Processor: Intel

Selecting Czech keyboard layout in Apple > System Preferences > Language & Text > Input Sources prevents me from using most fonts installed on my system to either edit or write new text in Word 2008. Regardless of what method I use to select a font, it always returns into Times New Roman. The only way to actually use a different font is to write something in Times New Roman, select the text and then apply a different font to it. This is, obviously, far from desirable.

The only exception are some legacy Central European fonts whose names end in "CE". As far as I know, this used to be the old nomenclature to distinguish between type faces which contained Czech (and other Central Europe specific) diacritics in the 1990s.

For over a decade (since Windows 95) most fonts have contained all the necessary characters and diacritics for several locales / keyboard layouts. There is no other Mac application that would cause this sort of problems with fonts at the moment. I am using OpenOffice and iWork on the same Mac without any problems whatsoever.

So far, the only way of using Word normally is to use US keyboard layout. If I select that, I am able to choose and use any of the fonts installed on my computer. However, US keyboard does not have the necessary diacritics.

Has anyone encountered the same problem - and more importantly, found a solution to it?

M

Michal_Macura

Resolved. Simply had to switch off "Match Font with Keyboard" option in Preferences > Edit.

Ask a Question