Uninstalling H&S 2010 after installing 2019

Reaction score
I've installed Home and Student 2019, set up options, and now want to uninstall 2010. Frequently doing an uninstall of a previous version after the new install can be tricky, if not destructive. Are there any things to watch for or save before doing this? I assume it's the same process for Excel and Power Point. Normally, I use Revo Uninstaller Pro and let it scour the registry, but wonder if that's a good idea in this case.

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The simple solution is to not use Revo Uninstaller. Simply uninstall Office 2010 via the Control Panel. At its absolute worst, you might then have to do a repair on Office 2019, but even that is quite unlikely. I have no idea where you got the notion that "doing an uninstall of a previous version after the new install can be tricky, if not destructive". I have never known an uninstall of an older Office version to cause any harm to a newer installation - unless a 3rd-party uninstaller was used.

Reaction score
I have no idea where you got the notion that "doing an uninstall of a previous version after the new install can be tricky, if not destructive".

Again, your tone is out of line. You got on my case when I posted a simple straight forward, easy to read question about a doc having to be open to see all the Options in Word, but have been silent since I posted screenshots showing exactly what I reported encountering.

As an MVP, I would assume you know that it is fairly common for different versions of programs to share registry entries. I was simply trying to get information about Office programs before proceeding. A polite answer suffices.

Reaction score
I even don't have better idea how to do that. I would like to know more about it. Thank you so much!

I did use the uninstall via the Control Panel vs. Revo Pro, although it wouldn't have made a difference. As I suspected might happen, the uninstall left 2019 unusable. So I did an online search for repair install, the instructions for which I've linked below (something I would have hoped the MVP would provide). You get a choice of running the repair offline or online. I chose the first, but in starting 2019 ran into a roadblock because it didn't recognize my valid registration email as correct, and didn't offer an alternative. Then I tried the online one and had the same problem, but this time the "next" led to the activation screen and that solved it. Then all I had to do was find the Word and Excel executables and copy the icon to the desktop.

See DaveM121's second method ("If that does not resolve this for you")

Last edited:

Ask a Question