Unread message indicators and display all messed up

M

mfiman

Where to begin? I have an assortment of related symptoms.

If I click to delete Junk mail when the Junk E-mail folder is selected, the mail often remains in view -- as if undeleted. However, if I switch to another folder and then return, the email is indeed gone. Even so, the Junk E-mail listing in the Folders column remains in bold (with a number after the name) as if the deleted email is in fact still there. The only way to fix this is to quit Entourage and relaunch it.

In other cases, after checking for mail, my Inbox folder will turn bold and show a number of new emails. However, there will be no new emails visible. Once again, if I leave the Inbox folder and then return to it, the new emails show up.

Conversely, I have some rules set up to shunt certain email into folders upon arrival. In many cases, these folders do NOT turn bold to indicate the arrival of new mail. When I actually go to the folder, however, the email messages are there and listed in bold.

Basically, the indicators for and display of unread messages are all screwed up.

If I quit Entourage and relaunch, everything fixes itself. But then the problems begin again with new email.

I never had this problem with Office 2004 or even with 2008 for the first few weeks I used it. But now I have it all the time.

Any suggestions?

M

mfiman

Good news of a sort.

The problem has vanished...at least for now.

The only thing that I can figure that was different before and after...is that I believe Spotlight was indexing an external drive at least most of the time while the problem was occurring. I think there might have been some problem with Spotlight because it was doing excessive indexing. In any case, the problem with Entourage may be related, especially possible as Entourage 2008 apparently now works with Spotlight.

Ask a Question