VBA macros and office 2008

S

sketchturner

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: intel

This is not a question actually. Just wanted to share my conclusions of my long research in quest to keep my VBA macros working.

The Ms Office 08 Dev team did a heavy promotion on Applescript as being the solution to replace VBA. Applescript is great but you will struggle with this:
- the language has an uncommon syntax paradigm
- confusing documentation.
- it is not saved with the XLS document, so it's inconvenient for spreadsheets that should be distributed (which most are).

Applescript is good for automating, say, mechanical tasks like adding a bunch of rows, calculating numbers here and there.

If you need to add true interactivity to your spreadsheet, i would recommend sticking to the old Excel 4.0 Macro language, which is still widely supported by all office versions including MacOffice 2008 (and i hope they are not planning in taking it out).

You will find reference about this language doing search with XL4M or simply XLM. Especially in old group posts (try dates of 1995-99).

Also, the complete reference is here
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...43-3AD1-4DF1-9F93-C19C7E84F01C&displaylang=en>

I hope you find this post helpful.

Ask a Question