VBA to look for more than 1 key word and highlights

Reaction score
This code is fabulous but it only seems to be able to do one key word at a time. I wish I'd asked how to do multiples when I was originally helped with this years ago - but didn't need it - now I do with a deadline over-head..
Hoping someone or if still available @macropod can help me expand the capability to look for multiple key words/phrased rather than just one.
(Example: "Delivered", "Architected", "Developed", "Resolved")
Goal: extrapolate key statements from customer deliverables (status reports) over a full contract period's time -- and build a significant accomplishments list at end of contract using key several key words we're looking for)

Thanks in advance!
Chris

Sub Highlight_ParagraphEx2AndCaseSensitiveorNot()

'THIS ONE HIGHLIGHTS FULL PARAGRAPH

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
With ActiveDocument.Range
With .Find
.ClearFormatting
.Replacement.ClearFormatting
.Text = "Delivered"
.Replacement.Text = ""
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindStop
.Format = True
.MatchWildcards = False
.Execute
End With
Do While .Find.Found
.Duplicate.Paragraphs.First.Range.HighlightColorIndex = wdYellow
.Start = .Duplicate.Paragraphs.First.Range.End
.Find.Execute
Loop
End With
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Try:
Code:
Sub Demo()
Dim ArrFnd(), i As Long, j As Long
ArrFnd = Array("Delivered", "Architected", "Developed", "Resolved")
For i = 0 To UBound(ArrFnd)
    With .Find
      .ClearFormatting
      .Replacement.Text = ""
      .Format = True
      .Forward = True
      .Wrap = wdFindStop
      .MatchWildcards = False
      .Text = ArrFnd(i)
      .Execute
    End With
    Do While .Find.Found
      j = i Mod 12
      If j < 6 Then
        j = j + 2
      Else
        j = j + 3
      End If
      With .Paragraphs.First.Range
        If .HighlightColorIndex > 0 Then .HighlightColorIndex = wdGray25
      End With
      .Start = .Paragraphs.First.Range.End
      .Find.Execute
    Loop
  End With
Next
End Sub
Note: I've also tweaked the code to use different highlights for each term. Up to 12 terms are catered for this way. If multiple terms appear in the same paragraph, that paragraph will get a grey highlight.

Reaction score
Thank you @macropod ! I created a New Module within my Word .docm, ran it but didn't get any result. What might I be doing wrong? I'm thinking many years ago you mentioned once that something had to be placed into the "ThisDocument" area in order to work for that particular item --- and alternatively, you mentioned turning on some setting in options I believe back when using Word 2016 but can't recall where... (not sure if the need to checkbox whatever setting this was -- still applies as I'm using Windows 365/Word)?

Try:
Code:
Sub Demo()
Dim ArrFnd(), i As Long, j As Long
ArrFnd = Array("Delivered", "Architected", "Developed", "Resolved")
For i = 0 To UBound(ArrFnd)
    With .Find
      .ClearFormatting
      .Replacement.Text = ""
      .Format = True
      .Forward = True
      .Wrap = wdFindStop
      .MatchWildcards = False
      .Text = ArrFnd(i)
      .Execute
    End With
    Do While .Find.Found
      j = i Mod 12
      If j < 6 Then
        j = j + 2
      Else
        j = j + 3
      End If
      With .Paragraphs.First.Range
      End With
      .Start = .Paragraphs.First.Range.End
      .Find.Execute
    Loop
  End With
Next
End Sub
Note: I've also tweaked the code to use different highlights for each term. Up to 12 terms are catered for this way. If multiple terms appear in the same paragraph, that paragraph will get a grey highlight.

Reaction score
Update: @macropod -- I tested placing it in the "ThisDocument" area - but no luck... also kept searching and found the other Word 16.0 setting that you used to advise needed checked for certain scripts.. Found it under TOOLS > References and sure enough it was already checked... Attached is screenshot of what I have checked that may or may not be impacting - ?
lhaud5ok93boet5l5gmra32j51lu3t6b

Image: https://app.box.com/s/lhaud5ok93boet5l5gmra32j51lu3t6b

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The macro runs fine for me regardless of what code module it's added to and without 'turning on some setting in options'. Are you sure the document you want to process was the active one when you ran the macro?

Reaction score
Yes, here's a screenshot -- I only have a single Word doc open and the word "Delivered" is visible in the code and below in the document text - yet it's not highlighting... If I use the original code (with onsie words) using only "Delivered" it highlights all the references as intended... something odd between the orig code and the new code that's causing it not to highlight anything...?

pdcjlax3pb8mlicad3ckjg8mbbt51ggk

image direct link at Box: https://app.box.com/s/pdcjlax3pb8mlicad3ckjg8mbbt51ggk

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
My bad. I seem to have dropped out some code. Replace:
Code:
with:
Code:
        If .HighlightColorIndex > 0 Then
          .HighlightColorIndex = wdGray25
        Else
          .HighlightColorIndex = j
        End If

Reaction score
That's it! @macropod It works! THANKS GREATLY!!

Once I get this deadline file out the door tonight, I'm going to try to figure out if there's an easier way to be able to type the desired search phrases into a pop-up (user dialog box) where I can quickly key them into like 5-10 diff fields, hit run and not have to worry about adjusting the back-end of the code tediously between the parens with every phrase requirement change...

Heck, an even better idea would be using a table similar to what I did I manually with this effort... (image attached)
I inserted an empty table on pg one of the Word doc -- 6 columns by 13 rows) and typed in all the ACTION verbs I was seeing as I skimmed through a 60 page doc. Then I bounced back and forth to the top of page 1 to grab another word from that table to type within the parens… (manual) Setting a business rule for the team to try to use a certain collection of verbs found in a similar table (preferably SMALLER than this) would also make this less painful for future..

Have you ever seen code LOOK TO a table at the beginning of a doc and use it to INDEX through it and use words or short phrases in each cell to perform a function (such as highlighting?) Might be a pipe dream but if you think it can be done -- I'll go try to start searching for an example out there...

(I know you know the rudiments/capabilities/bounds that it can and can not do --- so that's why I ask if it's a waste of my time to even try or not...)

Image link: https://app.box.com/s/ywal2y7cyaailgfnlf0fm4s3y27kkb3p

Attachments

• sample-table-for-index-lookup-while-highlighting2.GIF
    sample-table-for-index-lookup-while-highlighting2.GIF
    24.1 KB · Views: 222

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You could, of course, simply create an Index concordance file with all the terms you're interested in, then let Word index all those terms in the document. The Index concordance document is essentially a two-column table in which the texts to be indexed are in the first column and the form of the Index entries are in the second column. Done properly, the process is effective, straightforward, and efficient. See, for example:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ord-2016/b22c25ec-0720-4403-97f5-418fc592862b
See also: https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...an-index-cc502c71-a605-41fd-9a02-cda9d14bf073

Ask a Question