Verify messages are received

A

Avery_Twins

Is there a way in Entourage to get something back when you send an e-mail to someone verifying that they did in fact receive the e-mail you sent them? When I used to work on a PC, Outlook had something that sent a message back to you saying the message had been received by the recipient, and you could also request to be notified when the message had been opened by the recipient. I can't find anything like this in Entourage on my Mac. PLEASE HELP! My boss wants verification that the e-mails I'm sending are being received/read by the recipients.

D

Diane Ross

Is there a way in Entourage to get something back when you send an e-mail to
someone verifying that they did in fact receive the e-mail you sent them? When
I used to work on a PC, Outlook had something that sent a message back to you
saying the message had been received by the recipient, and you could also
request to be notified when the message had been opened by the recipient. I
can't find anything like this in Entourage on my Mac. PLEASE HELP! My boss
wants verification that the e-mails I'm sending are being received/read by the
recipients.

See Return Receipts:

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/faq_topic/return_receipt.html>

Keep in mind that return receipts are not a reliable indication that a
message has either been read or received.

B

Brad Cooper

I looked at the Return Receipts FAQ and am trying to implement the solution for selecting specific emails I want a return receipt for, with no success. It says

create a normal (POP) account setup (named descriptively) which is exactly the same as your regular one except omitting the "Receive Mail" entries and adding the "Return Receipt" header as described above

I tried to set up an account called "[My Name] Return Receipt Requested", and did not type in anything in the blanks under the "Receiving Mail" section (Account ID, POP server, and password). Then I went to Options and typed in the alternative header "Disposition-Notification-To" and my email address, as instructed.

I tried to send a test message from this new account but got an error message: "please configure your mail client to use authentication". It seems I need to identify the POP server and password after all, but then what does "omitting the Receive Mail entries" mean? I'm stuck.

A

Adam Bailey

Brad Cooper said:
I looked at the Return Receipts FAQ and am trying to implement the
solution for selecting specific emails I want a return receipt for, with
no success. -snip-
I tried to set up an account called "[My Name] Return Receipt Requested",
and did not type in anything in the blanks under the "Receiving Mail"
section (Account ID, POP server, and password). Then I went to Options and
typed in the alternative header "Disposition-Notification-To" and my email
address, as instructed.

Did you put in Outgoing (SMTP) server settings? You need those to send
email.

What kind of account do you normally use? IMAP/POP/Exchange?

Ask a Question