Vertical line / vertical dash formatting mark in MS Word 2013; what does it mean?

Reaction score
Running MS Word 2013 on Windows 7.

My MS word document is full of sentences that begin with a vertical line formatting mark. I have scoured the internet and cannot figure out what this mark is supposed to mean. I know that a dot is a space, an arrow is a tab, etc., but I have found no mention of this other mark. It does disappear/reappear when I hit the formatting marks button. The best I can describe it is as a small vertical line, like "I", but smaller.

Whatever it is, I believe it is screwing up the formatting for this document when I try to export it to another program, so I need to remove them. Doing so manually would take hours. Can ayone explain what the marks are and how to remove them in mass? Of course I could just paste all the text into notepad and back into Word, but that would remove all my italics as well, and I don't want that.

I'd love to provide a screenshot, but apparently I'm not allowed to.

Thanks--

Edit: Problem solved

Last edited:

Ask a Question