View equations created in Word 2007

J

jrmiller

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: intel

Greetings! I've successfully installed Office 2008 update 12.0.1 on my MacBook Pro running 10.5.2. One of the fixes that was listed in the Microsoft Knowledgebase article associated with the update was the ability to edit equations created in Word 2007 for Windows. After applying the update, I still get a warning message when opening a file created in Word 2007: "This file contains Word 2007 for Windows equations"; the document opens with placeholders (blank squares) instead of the equations. Does anyone else have this problem after applying the 12.0.1 update? Thanks.

-Jeff

C

CyberTaz

I don't know tht this is the fix, but have you tried repairing permissions &
restarting your Mac since applying the update?

M

Matthew Gardiner

Hi,

Tried deleting the preference files? I did a clean install of Office 2008,
then did installed the update over the top, and haven't noticed the issue.

Matthew

J

jrmiller

Thanks for the suggestion.

Yesterday I removed Office (using the Uninstall Office app), reinstalled and applied the 12.0.1 update. Deleting the preferences doesn't help. I tried running Word in another account that hadn't used Office before, and still have the same problem.

I only deleted preferences in my home directory; I'll have to look to see if there are some global preferences that are to blame.

When I start up Word 2007 under Vista (using Bootcamp) I can open the same document without problems. I'll have to try some other documents, just in case there's a problem with the ones I've been testing.

M

Matthew Gardiner

Hi,

Could you forward me (via my email address) an example of a document with an
equation in it to see if it occurs on my machine?

Matthew

J

jrmiller

Thanks for your offer of assistance. I'm new to these forums and can't seem to find your email address!

I tried opening the same document on a Powerbook G4 that I use for testing, also running 10.5.2, and encountered the same error. There's nothing fancy in the document; it's a student's homework assignment, and they used the Equation Editor for a bunch of subscripts, and the occasional equation. Not sure why they did it that way; it's one of my wife's students! Anyhow, the document still opens fine in Word 2007.

-Jeff

M

Matthew Gardiner

Hi,

The forums must strip the email address off it; my email address is:

(e-mail address removed)

I'm sure its just a matter of a few things gone haywire in regards to
preference files etc.

Matthew

A

AnnaMarie

I am having the same trouble. I actually installed Office 2008 in hopes of being able to read a student's homework in .docx format, but am still not able to read the equations. I installed Office and immediately installed the update without having opened any files or anything, so I would think that it should have worked. Do you have any suggestions?

J

John McGhie

The only sensible suggestion is to "wait for the update".

There is a known bug with Office 2008's inability to handle equations
created in Office 2007.

There is a fix coming shortly from Microsoft (Service Release 12.1.0). It
is in testing now, and will be released as soon as it is ready. Don't get
confused by the number: the fix that is out now is a hot fix, 12.0.1. It
does not address this issue. The coming Service Release is 12.1.0 :)

Until then, nothing you do will make it any better!

Sorry!

I am having the same trouble. I actually installed Office 2008 in hopes of
being able to read a student's homework in .docx format, but am still not able
to read the equations. I installed Office and immediately installed the update
without having opened any files or anything, so I would think that it should
have worked. Do you have any suggestions?

--
Don't wait for your answer, click here: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Please reply in the group. Please do NOT email me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP, Word and Word:Mac
Sydney, Australia. mailto:[email protected]

Ask a Question