View jumps back to cursor position when scrolling in Word 2007

Reaction score
Hello! The following is actually copied from a 2009 post by "Steve", which I found by Googling my problem. His question was never answered, and I'm having the same problem. I deselected 'Smart cursor' and 'Smart paragraph' for good measure, but did not help..

Win 7; Word 2007; Asus Optical Mouse

When scrolling thru a Word document using the mouse scroll wheel the view will jump back to the cursor position.

This also happens if I use the scroll wheel on my Logitech keyboard, so it's not a mouse driver issue.

I'm working on a desktop computer, so it's not me accidentally touching the touchpad.

This is REALLY frustating, as I am writing a long document and want to be able to scoll through it, leaving the cursor where I last clicked. I don't want to have to click in the document to 'lock' the
cursor position.

I have searched for answers to this and the general consensus seems to be that 'that's the way it works' and 'what's the big deal'. But it never did this in Word 2002 or 2003. It does NOT happen in
Excel 2007 or PowerPoint. 2007.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

TIA

Steve

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
There are numerous possibilities that aren't due to anything in Word's design. These include AV software interacting with Word's autosave function; a rogue 3rd-party addin; or a faulty Office installation. Similarly, clicking anywhere in a document with 'filling in forms' protection is liable to take you to the last-selected formfield; otherwise to the first formfield.

Ask a Question