- Joined
- Feb 17, 2025
- Messages
- 14
- Reaction score
- 0
I have a Microsoft 365 Online Archive containing several years of email, and I’m trying to determine the safest way to convert the archived data into PST files. The archive is well over 100 GB, so I don’t really want to end up with one enormous PST that becomes difficult to transfer, open, or maintain later.
My first thought was to use Outlook’s built-in export option. It’s simple enough when the archive is reasonably sized and accessible from the desktop application. You can select the archive folders, include subfolders, and export them to PST. However, once the mailbox reaches hundreds of GB, the practical limitations become more noticeable. A single export can take a long time, and any problem during the process can mean repeating a significant amount of work.
I’m leaning toward dividing the archive into logical periods, such as one PST per year. That should make the files easier to identify and could also make future restoration or searching more manageable. The important part is finding a method that can control the date range without accidentally leaving out folders or messages.
This is why I’ve been researching how to export Office 365 Archive Mailbox to PST using different approaches. Apart from date filtering, I’d look for features such as folder selection, duplicate handling, PST splitting, and the ability to skip data that has already been processed. These can be particularly useful when the archive is too large for a simple one-click export.
I also came across the SysInfo Office 365 to PST Export Tool while comparing dedicated mailbox export utilities. According to the information I found, it supports Online Archive mailboxes and provides options for filtering and splitting PST output. For administrators dealing with large archives, those controls seem more relevant than simply having a basic export wizard.
One thing I would definitely do is verify each PST after creation. Open it in Outlook, check several folders, compare message counts, and open messages with attachments from different years. That gives a better indication that the export actually contains the expected data.
For those who have handled very large Microsoft 365 archives, what worked better for you: one large PST, yearly PST files, or separate exports based on mailbox folders? I’d particularly appreciate advice from anyone who has had to deal with a 100 GB+ archive.
My first thought was to use Outlook’s built-in export option. It’s simple enough when the archive is reasonably sized and accessible from the desktop application. You can select the archive folders, include subfolders, and export them to PST. However, once the mailbox reaches hundreds of GB, the practical limitations become more noticeable. A single export can take a long time, and any problem during the process can mean repeating a significant amount of work.
I’m leaning toward dividing the archive into logical periods, such as one PST per year. That should make the files easier to identify and could also make future restoration or searching more manageable. The important part is finding a method that can control the date range without accidentally leaving out folders or messages.
This is why I’ve been researching how to export Office 365 Archive Mailbox to PST using different approaches. Apart from date filtering, I’d look for features such as folder selection, duplicate handling, PST splitting, and the ability to skip data that has already been processed. These can be particularly useful when the archive is too large for a simple one-click export.
I also came across the SysInfo Office 365 to PST Export Tool while comparing dedicated mailbox export utilities. According to the information I found, it supports Online Archive mailboxes and provides options for filtering and splitting PST output. For administrators dealing with large archives, those controls seem more relevant than simply having a basic export wizard.
One thing I would definitely do is verify each PST after creation. Open it in Outlook, check several folders, compare message counts, and open messages with attachments from different years. That gives a better indication that the export actually contains the expected data.
For those who have handled very large Microsoft 365 archives, what worked better for you: one large PST, yearly PST files, or separate exports based on mailbox folders? I’d particularly appreciate advice from anyone who has had to deal with a 100 GB+ archive.