White space above heading inconsistently applied

Reaction score
I have set the Heading 1 style in the document I am working on to have white space above the text. However this white space only appears above some of the headings in this style, but not others. Each occurrence of this style is preceded directly by a section break (new page). I read somewhere that putting the heading in a frame would solve the problem of white space above not being displayed, but when I tried this all that happened was that the headings that had correctly displayed the white space above now sat in frame with white space above, while those that hadn't now appeared in a frame without that white space. In other words, it changed nothing with regard to the positioning of the heading text relative to the top of the page.

I have enabled displaying hidden markup, so I know that I have not made a mistake about what kind of breaks I used before the headings or anything like that.

How can I get the white space to appear consistently above all my headings in this style?

Reaction score
I seem to have found a solution, although I am not sure I have completely understood what is going on.

It seems that the space before is only suppressed if there is a pilcrow just before the section break. If the section break immediately follows the last printable character of the preceding section, the space before is displayed correctly.

Ask a Question