Why doesnt Entourage auto-update the Inbox like Mac Mail?

D

Dustin_H

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel
Email Client: imap

When using Mac Mail with my personal IMAP account or MobileMe, any changes made on another device or online will update the Mac Mail inbox as well.

Example: Using my iPhone I move an eMail from the Inbox to a subfolder. Mac Mail will update to show this change automatically. Entrouage will still have the unread message in the Inbox still.

I've noticed this in my own IMAP account hosted by 1and1.com and also the same behavior with my MobileMe account. Both work 'as expected' with this update in Mac Mail, but not in Entrouage... any suggestions?

I've even tried the 'hide deleted items' options and just cant seem to figure it out.

One issue this causes is that if I delete an item on my iPhone it moves it to delete items. No problem... but then I have to delete it from the Inbox in Entourage as well... and now I have the item twice in my Delete items. :/

Help! :) I REALLY want to use Entourage, but this issue alone is stopping me from using it...

M

Michel Bintener

Go to Tools>Accounts, double-click your MobileMe account, switch to the
Options tab and enable LiveSync. After you've done this, Entourage will
automatically and immediately reflect any changes made to the MobileMe mail
account.

D

Dustin_H

I tried the LiveSync with the IMAP server and it didnt make any difference... I'll give it a shot with the MobileMe and see what happens... thanks for the tip.

D

Dustin_H

Now seems to be working for both the MobileMe and my IMAP account... I wonder if this is something that needs to be done (LiveSync enable) at the time the Account is setup...? It never worked before.

Who knows - glad it's working now! Bye bye Mac Mail...

D

Dustin_H

This is so odd... today apparently the LiveSync is no longer working... :/ Any thoughts?

A

Adam Bailey

This is so odd... today apparently the LiveSync is no longer working... :/
Any thoughts?

Control-click the server name in your folder list and choose Get Info.
If the server supports Live Sync, you should see "IDLE" in the list of
Server Capabilities.

D

Dustin_H

Thanks for the reply, although I am sure I must be missing something. I'm using Entourage 2008 and unsure where I would Ctrl-Click on the server name...? I opened the 'Account Settings' and went to the section where LiveSync is but didnt see anything like this...

A

Adam Bailey

Thanks for the reply, although I am sure I must be missing something. I'm
using Entourage 2008 and unsure where I would Ctrl-Click on the server
name...?

In your folder list on the left.

D

Dustin_H

Ahhh! Cool... nice to know where that kind of diagnostic info is...

It does list 'Idle'. And oddly enough it's working again... :/ Who knows... I love Entourage but I have to say, it's still a goofy product compared to Outlook.

Thanks again man... I owe you. If you are near Chicago, beers are on me...

Ask a Question