Why is office 2008 more than 10 times slower than office 2004?

T

Trin

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel excel 2008 is horrid! Complete disaster. How can you work 4 years on a product and release something slower than its predecessor. and not by % but by times!!! constant crashes. copy and paste of an EMPTY column takes 10-39 sec with the beach ball spinning!?
why did you think it was a good idea to change the ; for , in the formulas???
everything crashes all th etime for no reason at all. I have 2004 on my machine too and it blazes past 2008!
you have 2 years to fix something you should not have released in the first place but of course nothing have been done.

Are you crippling the Mac office on purpose or are you just completely inadequate for the task at hand? Get your act together and get to the bottom of these issues. as is Excel cannot be used for anything.

I don't even want to start a rant about the UI. nothing is at is place. dumb wizards try and of course fail to guess what i want to do, charts take eons to plot...

J

Jim Gordon Mac MVP

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel
excel 2008 is horrid! Complete disaster. How can you work 4 years on a
product and release something slower than its predecessor. and not by %
but by times!!! constant crashes. copy and paste of an EMPTY column
takes 10-39 sec with the beach ball spinning!?
why did you think it was a good idea to change the ; for , in the
formulas???
everything crashes all th etime for no reason at all. I have 2004 on my
machine too and it blazes past 2008!
you have 2 years to fix something you should not have released in the
first place but of course nothing have been done.

Are you crippling the Mac office on purpose or are you just completely
inadequate for the task at hand? Get your act together and get to the
bottom of these issues. as is Excel cannot be used for anything.

I don't even want to start a rant about the UI. nothing is at is place.
dumb wizards try and of course fail to guess what i want to do, charts
take eons to plot...

Be sure to install the Office updates (Help > Check for updates). Speed
issues have been addressed in the updates - particularly for charts.

-Jim

T

Trin

have latest model mbp with 4gb ram have: repaired permisions
restarted
installed the latest updates
restarted
repaired permisions
restarted
turned of WYSISG fonts
turned off show recent documents

nothing helps! am only using excel 2008 to convert xlsx to xls and then use 2004 which actually works

T

Trin

thank for trying to help but the Excel is simply broken
my default view is Normal, it not that bug (and really how hard is it to fix that bug over 2 years?!.
its not my system its just as slow on any of the >100 macs in the building.
Hi Trin,
>
> Did you try the trouble shooting steps in the following 2 KBs? Copying/pasting an empty column finishes instantly on my 2GB machine. So I think your performance slowness is local to you system. Can you try the safe-mode when launching XL or logining to your account?
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976445
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979949
>
> Thanks,
> XinXin Liu
> Macintosh Business Unit, Microsoft
>
> > excel 2008 is horrid! Complete disaster. How can you work 4 years on a product and release something slower than its predecessor. and not by % but by times!!! constant crashes. copy and paste of an EMPTY column takes 10-39 sec with the beach ball spinning!?
> > why did you think it was a good idea to change the ; for , in the formulas???
> > everything crashes all th etime for no reason at all. I have 2004 on my machine too and it blazes past 2008!
> > you have 2 years to fix something you should not have released in the first place but of course nothing have been done.
> >
> > Are you crippling the Mac office on purpose or are you just completely inadequate for the task at hand? Get your act together and get to the bottom of these issues. as is Excel cannot be used for anything.
> >
> > I don't even want to start a rant about the UI. nothing is at is place. dumb wizards try and of course fail to guess what i want to do, charts take eons to plot...

Ask a Question