Why won't my up and down arrows work in Onenote 2007?

J

Joshfez

When I'm inside a textbox in Onenote, my up and down arrows are completely
useless to move up or down between lines of text. The left and right arrows
work fine , and the up an down arrows work fine in Word 2007, Excel 2007,
etc, just not Onenote. The best I can do is hold ctrl while I am using the up
or down arrows and this will move the cursor to the beginning of the line,
then scroll up and down through the lines, but a simple up arrow and down
arrow do not work. How can I fix this?
Also, "NumLock" and Scroll Lock do not help the problem

J

Joshfez

Yeah, Just tried it last night -- made no difference at all.
Thanks for the suggestion, though!

J

Joshfez

I'm working on a Dell Inspiron E1405 laptop with Windows XP SP2. I previously
had MS Office 2002, then downloaded and installed 2007. I didn't have Onenote
before this.

J

Joshfez

The first time I hit it, it moves the cursor to the beginning of the line.
Each subsequent time, it moves up or down between paragraphs. I thought it
moved between lines, but this was because all of my lines were really
one-line paragraphs. I have seen since then that Ctrl-Up/Down moves me
between the beginning of each paragraph (after first moving me to the
beginning of the line I'm on)

E

Ed Elliott

I recently recognized the same problem with OneNote on my Win7 64-bit desktop (custom build with Asus P5N32-E SLI MB) and Win7 64-bit laptop (Lenovo X201t). Up Arrow and Down Arrow on the main keyboard have no effect (no movement at all). The Numpad Up Arrow and Down Arrow work correctly. I don't know when this problem started as I use OneNote infrequently; I cannot be 100% confident that it ever worked correctly.

My solution was to install the following code into the custom startup AutoHotKey script which is installed on all of my PC's:

SetTitleMatchMode 2 ; Windows title can just contain the desired string; it does not have to start with the desired string

; ================== Microsoft OneNote ========================================
#IfWinActive Microsoft Office OneNote
; various attempts to fix the fact the the up & down arrows on the main keyboard do not work, while the up & down arrows on the numpad do work
;vk26sc148::send {vk26sc048} ; Does not work. main keyboard up arrow > numpad up arrow
;vk26sc148::send {VK_UP} ; Does not work. main keyboard up arrow > numpad up arrow
;vk26sc148::sendPlay {vk26sc048} ; Does not work. main keyboard up arrow > numpad up arrow
;vk26sc148::sendraw {NUMPAD_UP} ; Does not work. main keyboard up arrow > numpad up arrow
;UP::send {NUMPAD_UP} ; Does not work. Is invoked from main keyboard up arrow but send does not work
UP::sendplay {vk26sc048} ; Works! main keyboard up arrow > numpad up arrow (note that send & sendInput did not work)
;UP::sendplay {NUMPAD_UP} ; Does not work.

;vk28sc150::send {vk28sc050} ; Does not work. main keyboard down arrow > numpad down arrow
;vk28sc150::send {VK_DOWN} ; Does not work. main keyboard down arrow > numpad down arrow
;vk28sc150::sendPlay {vk28sc050} ; Does not work. main keyboard down arrow > numpad down arrow
;vk28sc150::sendraw {NUMPAD_DOWN} ; Does not work. main keyboard down arrow > numpad down arrow
;DOWN::send {NUMPAD_DOWN} ; Does not work. Is invoked from main keyboard down arrow but send does not work
DOWN::sendplay {vk28sc050} ; Works! main keyboard down arrow > numpad down arrow (note that send & sendInput did not work)
;DOWN::sendplay {NUMPAD_DOWN} ; Does not work.
#IfWinActive ; end OneNote
; END END END ====== Microsoft OneNote ========================================

The lines starting with ; are comments. I retained my failed attempts to save time for those who might decide to tweak the code.

I did not try a repair install or uninstall/reinstall.

Ask a Question