Wood 2010 Form and submitting via email

Reaction score
Dear All,

I have a Word 2000 form which required some amendments to it. I managed to convert it to Word 2010. After I made the required changes I was then asked if I could put a submit button on the Form so that when clicked it would send it to outlook so that a user could then forward to a designated Outlook mailbox. However, in order that the form works I have to password protect the document. On doing this the submit button does not appear to work. As this document may go to hundreds if not thousands of people within the department, I need something that will be fool proof. I wouldn’t class myself as a techy, but there are a lot of people that are less able then myself at using Word. I did wonder if the easiest thing to do was to save the 2010 Form as an earlier version but I would appreciate it if someone could have a look at the code below and let me know where I am going wrong.

Sub CommandButton1_Click()

ActiveDocument.SendForReview _

Recipients:="email.com", _

Subject:="Form", _

ShowMessage:=True, _

IncludeAttachment:=False

End Sub

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
What kind of protection have you applied, what kind of button are you using, and what file format are you saving to? A document using formfields and 'filling in forms' protection - which is what is required for formfields to work - would also allow an ActiveX command button to work. No 'conversion' to Word 2010 would be required, but the document would then have to be saved in the docm (macro-enabled) format, not the docx format.

Reaction score
Sorry to sound dim, but I do not know what you mean by the kind of protection I have applied. On the tool bar I have clicked on restrict editing . On the bar at the side I have clicked on option 2 Editing Restrictions, and I have chosen Filling in forms. The button I have used is a command button (Active X Control)

The form is saved as a docm document.

I am using Word 2010.

Currently when I cliick on the command button nothing happens.

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
There are various kinds of Editing restrictions; you have the correct one (Filling in forms) applied. If you can click on the ActiveX command button when you have the Filling in forms protection applied (as would be expected), it's active. If nothing happens when you click it, that suggests your document lacks the required code or that the code has problems. Regarding the latter, I note that all you posted for the email address is 'email.com', which isn't a valid email address. You should also confirm that the ActiveX command button is in fact named 'CommandButton1'; otherwise the code won't run.

Reaction score
Macropod,

The email address is restricted so this is only an example of an email address. The point about the command button you made is interesting though. I will have to remember to check that at work on Monday. Interestingly I did read something on the Internet that suggested that some of the problems I was experiencing with Word 2010 was that some updates had not been downloaded. I cannot remember the exact message but it was something about forms not being installed???

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
In that case, if things don't work as expected, I suggest you check that your Office installation is fully updated. There may have been an update at some time that broke the ActiveX functionality (which you have installed) but was corrected by a later update (which you not have installed).

Ask a Question