Word 2007 just uninstalled itself

Reaction score
I woke my system from sleep this morning and saw the most recent Windows Update--and with that, and without any action from me, whatsoever, Microsoft Word (2007) uninstalled itself!

Not only do I find this peculiar, but I also find its timing suspicious. In all its many versions I have been using Microsoft Word—always legally—for twenty years now and I have never had with it anything of what I consider a "problem"--until now.

I find it curious that this has happened only after Microsoft has introduced its 2016 version of Office/Word, which and for the first time in Microsoft's history is now sold on a subscription basis.

(Curiously, and despite Word's now incessant demand for a reinstall, it is still listed in Control Panel as installed.)

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Your problems have nothing to do with Office 365/2016. At most, it seems, you've lost a Word icon from your desktop, which you could restore via Start|Programs|Microsoft Office.

Reaction score
Your problems have nothing to do with Office 365/2016. At most, it seems, you've lost a Word icon from your desktop, which you could restore via Start|Programs|Microsoft Office.

Thank you for your input--but you are incorrect. Each and every time I tried(*) to open Word (even directly from its .exe), the installation routine started. That said, I figured out what the problem was and fixed it*.

*Out of pure frustration and after about half a dozen attempts to start Word I gave up and decided to reinstall it, as the program was doggedly insisting I do. When I did that, a window appeared saying that there was no installation on my computer "for the current user." Given I am the only user, I found that curious; but having decided to do the reinstall, I continued--at which Word simply opened, acknowledging me as a user.

Apparently, and whereas the program itself was intact, my "current user" data had gotten corrupted. At least that's what I conclude. Anyway, Word fixed it--in a bout five seconds.

It really had me going there for a while.

Ask a Question