Word 2008 - Incorrect Language in Title of Formatting Palette

A

AndrewD

Hi,

I upgraded from Office 2004 to 2008 and after doing so the title of the formatting palette in Word 2008 appears in Japanese rather than English. As far as I can tell this is the only title/palette/window where this happens.

I live in Tokyo and speak and write in Japanese using Word, but my Mac (OS 10.5.1) is set to English (my native language), with Japanese input as one option.

One possible cause is that when first upgrading Office 2004, I bought and used the Japanese version of the installer by mistake (thought that like most Apple apps it would make no difference which language upgrade I used as long as the OS language was set to English, but after the upgrade everything in Office was displayed only in Japanese and could not be changed). So I trashed that installation and upgraded Office 2004 again using a newly bought International version upgrade in English. This went fine except for the bug of the formatting palette being in Japanese.

I have tried several re-installations but to no avail. This is not a usability issue, just a slight annoyance. Any ideas?

M

Michel Bintener

I'm not sure if my recommendation will work, but you might want to give
it a try if you've got some time to spare:

you mention that you "trashed" the installation, and trashing does not
solve any issues, as there are still preferences files scattered all
over your hard disk. To properly remove Office, locate the Remove Office
tool (I can't give you its exact location in Office 2008, but in 2004,
it's Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Additional Tools/Remove Office)
and drag it to the desktop. Run it from there, remove any instances of
Office the tool can find, then delete any remaining Office folders
inside the Applications folder. Now reinstall Office 2008 and see if the
problem is still present.

--
Michel Bintener
Microsoft MVP
Office:Mac (Entourage & Word)

***Always reply to the newsgroup.***

Ask a Question