Word cutting off bottom of page when printing

M

Mesh_Group

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

Word 2008 is consistently cutting off 2-3 lines at the end of each printed page.

I've checked the margins, layout, preview, etc. and they all look fine, but on the printed page gets the lines get cut off.

I've tried multiple documents with the same result. I've also tried the same documents on a separate Mac, printing to the same printer, and they print okay from that Mac.

The only clue I've found that might help is that when I go to Format -> Documents and set the margins, Word complains that the bottom margin is outside the printable area of the page. If I click the "Fix" button, word sets the bottom margin to 18.37 inches. I assume this has something to do with the problem, but I'm at a loss as to how to fix it.

I have the bottom margin set at 0.75 inches, which is well within the printable area for US Letter on our HP color laserjet.

I tried a custom paper size in the Page Setup dialog box to see if it was a problem with a corrupted default US Letter page template. Same result.

I have also trashed the normal template and word prefs to see if that was the issue, but it didn't help.

Any suggestions of additional troubleshooting would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

C

CyberTaz

OK, you tried from different Macs, but are the 2 Macs using the *same*
version of the OS, the *same* version of Office & the *same* printer driver?

My guesses would be "No" to the first, "Maybe" to the second & "Yes if one
is No, No if one is Yes" to the third :) Bottom line is that Word doesn't
do the printing, it calls the service from the OS which hands it off to the
printer via the driver software. It sounds to me like the Mac having the
problem needs to have the printer driver updated. Check the mfr's site.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

M

Mesh_Group

Bob,

Thanks for your quick response.

I should have been more specific in my message. The two machines are running the same OS (10.5.5) and the same version of Office 2008, all fully updated. They also have the same version of the HP print driver.

All that aside, I decided to remove and reinstall the print driver on the Mac having the problem. That fixed the problem, so apparently the old install had become corrupted somehow.

Thanks again for the push in the right direction.

- Dave

C

CyberTaz

Good move - the driver software & OS are usually the first suspects in any
printing issues :) Glad you got it sorted & thanks for the confirmation :)

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

Ask a Question