Word keeps forgetting what I add to the custom dictionary.

Discussion in 'Word' started by Daniel, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Daniel

Daniel

I write fiction, and I end up having to add a lot of words to the dictionary.

I purchased a copy of office a couple of months ago, July 2016, and it is taking time to get used to this version.

I found out how to add words to the dictionary by switching the default dictionary to the roaming one, as the option was greyed out before then. Now it allows me to add words, but if I save the document and exit, when I reload it the dictionary has forgotten all or most of the words I added. I have to re-add them every time I open the document. How do I get it to remember what words I add to the dictionary when I save, exit, and reload?

Daniel, Oct 6, 2016
    1. Advertisements

2. Daniel

Becky Administrator

Becky, Oct 6, 2016
    1. Advertisements

3. Daniel

Daniel

Hmm. Not entirely. It doesn't give me any hints as to why it's not saving words I add, but word has acted a little temperamental since I installed it a few months ago (like needing to be told several times before it saves my paragraph settings.) Brand new HP laptop I bought at the same time is what it's on. It's the buy once and install version of office, not the subscription online version.
    It acts like it added it to the dictionary, in that it unmarks every instance of the words in my document. However, when I close the document and reopen it later it goes back to marking those words as incorrect. It's frustrating.

Daniel, Oct 6, 2016
  4. Daniel

Becky Administrator

Have you tried selecting the 'Custom' dictionary (ie CUSTOM.DIC) as opposed to the roaming one? It might also be worth making sure that your system language and your dictionary language are set to the same thing, as that can cause issues too... other than that I'm not sure to be honest!

Becky, Oct 7, 2016
  5. Daniel

macropod Microsoft MVP

Have you tried repairing the Office installation (via Start > Windows Control Panel > Programs > Programs & Features > Microsoft Office (version) > Change > Repair)?

macropod, Oct 17, 2016
    Becky likes this.
    1. Advertisements