Word Outline Numbering

M

myMac542

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I am trying to use the following outline numbering convention:

a.
       (1)
           (a)
               1)
                   a)

I'm finding that levels after (1) do not increment. The control/setup window does not have provisions for (1),(2),(3)... whereas 1,2,3..and a,b,c do. Is there a workaround or fix for this?

What I get is this:

a.
      (1)
      (1)
      (1)

Thanks.

M

michael_carr

You may have already done this, but did you notice the checkbox in the bullets and numbering menu pane? There is an option to either continue numbering from the previous, or to restart numbering.

M

myMac542

yes I did - thanks.

No matter what I do, I can't get the numbers or letters to increment after level 2.

M

myMac542

I finally resolved this problem. The root cause is an unclear menu that sets each level. What I didn't know, is that parenthesis ( ) must be manually added to the format while using either the 1,2,3,... or a,b,c,.... sequence format. The characters "(" or ")" must be typed into the format menu where "1" or "a" is entered so it looks like (1) or (a) or (a or 1) or whatever you want. Now, all is well - the customized outline numbering function works as intended.

The MS Word developers should clarify this function in the next update.

Ask a Question