Word picture shapes

Reaction score
Hello
I just discovered how I can crop a picture into an image. wonderful!!
I selected my picture and followed thru and grabbed the heart shape and cropped.
it worked great except the depth at the top of heart took off the ears of my subject.
I tried to short it but could not.
is it even possible?

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Perhaps you should have resized the heart shape to fit before doing any cropping.

Reaction score
Perhaps you should have resized the heart shape to fit before doing any cropping.
if I knew how to do that would not be a problem.

the only option is to crop to shape...I can change width and height but that is not the issue. I want to change the height of eve shape between the two sides..the centre cuts too much into my picture.
hope i explained myself more clearly

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
if I knew how to do that would not be a problem.
That's a pretty basic editing function - simply drag the relevant handles (the little boxes around the edges & circles on the corners) that appear when you click on it.

Reaction score
Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 2.19.37 PM.png
That's a pretty basic editing function - simply drag the relevant handles (the little boxes around the edges & circles on the corners) that appear when you click on it.
yes I know how to do that. but that just enlarges or reduces the size of whole heart... see pic of how heart cuts into her head....

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If you see [Compatibility Mode] at the top of the document window, choose File|Convert. You can now edit the shape of the heart by clicking on it and choosing Edit Shape>Edit Points. Depending on whether the document was already in compatibility mode, you'll now have some different editing points for the heart. If you see little black squares at just the top & bottom, clicking on one of those displays some handles, allowing you to change how steep the 'valley' is, for example. otherwise, you'll see multiple data points you can drag on an individual basis.

Reaction score
thanks macropod...I began another file and tried again. would love to find the option choosing edit shape etc....but I did not see any compatibility mode at all. playing around not sure what I did but I managed to get some rectangular black boxes but they were around whole the picture and not just around heart.
its probably something very simple I just get it to work.

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
As I indicated, [Compatibility Mode] might at the top of the document window. If it doesn't, you're not using Compatibility Mode, so there's nothing to change in that regard. If you're not using Compatibility Mode, click on the heart, click on the heart and the Edit Shape button will be available in the top left corner of the Drawing Tools tab on the Ribbon.

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You cannot do this if [Compatibility Mode] appears at the top of the document window. You can only do it by switching out of Compatibility Mode. I have told you how to do that.

Reaction score
I didn't actually knew about this feature of word. Thank you guys. I have tried rectangle and oval shape. This is very useful when I need to make a word presentation or PDF stories.

Ask a Question