Word Work File.tmp – What is it, and how canI be freed from its oppressive presence (?)

J

JohnPaul

It seems that when I am working in Word, there is sometimes created a strange file called "Word Work File______.tmp". I figured this had something to do with a backup file, and that it would disappear when I exited Word. Sometimes this seems to be the case, and the file disappears into an alternate universe, sometimes not. Can these files be deleted safely, or, better yet, is there some way to stop them from coming to be in the first place?

D

Daiya Mitchell

You cannot prevent them from being created. Word uses those to maintain
the Undo list and possibly to maintain AutoRecover (not sure).

They should vanish when a document is closed. If Word is quit properly,
and you still see Word Work Files, you can safely trash them.

I find that if Word crashes, the cleanup work of deleting the Word Work
files sometimes does not get done.

R

rmdepreneuf

Le lundi 28 janvier 2008 00:58:53 UTC+1, (inconnu) a écrit :
It seems that when I am working in Word, there is sometimes created a strange file called "Word Work File______.tmp". I figured this had something to do with a backup file, and that it would disappear when I exited Word. Sometimes this seems to be the case, and the file disappears into an alternate universe, sometimes not. Can these files be deleted safely, or, better yet, is there some way to stop them from coming to be in the first place?

I get that same problem but when I want to delete the .tmp file I get a "43" error code. Any advice how to delete those files?

Ask a Question