Auto-Numbering in a Table in MS Word

Reaction score
My template document has multiple sections in a table – 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 etc all the way up to 10.0 in some cases. I have managed to auto-number each individual section within the table so it automatically updates whenever a new line is added or a line is deleted from a particular section, however I have not managed to figure out how to get sections to automatically update whenever a full section is deleted i.e. If I delete section 3.0 then the current section 4.0 doesn’t automatically become 3.0 as I have to click in and adjust the main number (3) myself to update it. Do you know of a way to link each section of the table so that everything automatically updates if lines are added or removed or whole sections are added or removed?

Thanks,

Richard

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-30_10-58-7.png
    upload_2018-11-30_10-58-7.png
    154.7 KB · Views: 182

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The simplest way is to use Word's multi-level list numbering, with those numbers attached to the appropriate Heading Styles.

Ask a Question