Auto-Numbering in a Table in MS Word

Reaction score
My template document has multiple sections in a table – 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 etc all the way up to 10.0 in some cases. I have managed to auto-number each individual section within the table so it automatically updates whenever a new line is added or a line is deleted from a particular section, however I have not managed to figure out how to get sections to automatically update whenever a full section is deleted i.e. If I delete section 3.0 then the current section 4.0 doesn’t automatically become 3.0 as I have to click in and adjust the main number (3) myself to update it. Do you know of a way to link each section of the table so that everything automatically updates if lines are added or removed or whole sections are added or removed?

Thanks,

Richard

Attachments

Ad

Advertisements

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The simplest way is to use Word's multi-level list numbering, with those numbers attached to the appropriate Heading Styles.

Ask a Question