Bug in 12.1.7 Update

T

TimPerrin

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel
Email Client: pop

I applied the 12.1.7 update and now Entourage demands that I approve the use of my gmail password from the keychain every time it goes to collect my e-mail. Usually it asks three times even though I click on "Always allow." I have already tried removing then re-placing Entourage on the allowed programs list in Keychain and I have repaired and verified the Keychain using Keychain First Aid.

This is new behaviour that started when I applied the 12.1.7 update.

So, can someone from MS please fix this in 12.1.8 and get it out to us ASAP. This ia a major pain in the ass. Either than, or how do I do a rollback to 12.1.6?

D

Diane Ross

So, can someone from MS please fix this in 12.1.8 and get it out to us ASAP.
This ia a major pain in the ass. Either than, or how do I do a rollback to
12.1.6?

It's not broken for many of us, so the fix needs to be on your computer.
FWIW, I have a gmail account and have not seen that error.

€ Have you tried deleting that account in Entourage and recreating it new?
€ Have you tested in a new User's account to see if it works?
€ Have you tested in a new Entourage Identity to see if it works?

You can't roll back after an update. You will need to reinstall Office. I
always suggest that users zip a copy of the Office folder in the root
Application folder so they can revert if there is a problem.

Frequent password prompts are an issue that seems to plague users. It's not
just Entourage that has the problem.

L

LadyiMac

I applied the 12.1.7 update and now Entourage demands that I approve the use of my gmail password from the keychain every time it goes to collect my e-mail. Usually it asks three times even though I click on "Always allow." I have already tried removing then re-placing Entourage on the allowed programs list in Keychain and I have repaired and verified the Keychain using Keychain First Aid.
This is new behaviour that started when I applied the 12.1.7 update.

So, can someone from MS please fix this in 12.1.8 and get it out to us ASAP. This ia a major pain in the ass. Either than, or how do I do a rollback to 12.1.6?

I discovered by searching that a simple reboot is all that is needed to fix the problem.

T

TimPerrin

You can't roll back after an update. You will need to reinstall Office. I
always suggest that users zip a copy of the Office folder in the root
Application folder so they can revert if there is a problem.

I posted this privately to Diane but will repeat it here.

I did manage a rollback to 12.1.6. Unix systems are not like Windows in that they don't use a registry. All program information is stored with the program in the program folder. So, I simply deleted the Microsoft Office folder from the Applications Folder and restored Microsoft Office 12.1.6 from two days ago from my Time Machine backup. It's working fine now.

But I take to heart Diane's advice about zipping up a copy of your current application folder, particularly if you don't have Time Machine.

Tim Perrin

Ask a Question